• question-icon

What are the symptoms of anaemia?

Posted on Wed, 6 May 2015 in Child Health
Question: Hi
My son is 7.5 year old.
We are observing that he is getting tired very early / frequently while playing / studying. Some time after sitting for ½ an hour for study / watching TV , he start laying down saying that I am tired cant sit any more. And most of time he is resilient and more into arguments.
Some facts about him
1. Very Thin body built up
2. Height is at par with age group
3. Weight is almost 20kg, which seems underweight
4. Low involvement in physical game. Although we are trying a lot, It may be due to low stamina . But overall he is active
5. He took very long time to finish his meal, usually 40-50 mins. After 3-4 bites he shows stomach fullness
6. Prefers vegetables over serials. Some time like non-veg too
7. Don’t like milk / milk products since birth. Still we use to give him milk with Boost/ Pediasure
8. Had some yellowness over teeth. More over teeth are not well structured
9. Very low concentration in studies.
10. In Nov’14, his arm is got fractured while playing on swings and plastered for 21 days.
11. 4-5 times a year, getting fever. Duration of each occurrence is for 4-5 days

Can you please advice why its happening to him.
Do we need to get him checked clinically.
Is there any blood test/ or any other tests to ascertain whether he is anemic.
Or any Diet / tonics / medication you prescribe.
some blood tests reports enclosed
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 56 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Suggestions on general health

Detailed Answer:
Hi....I have gone through the details you have provided. I will come to your queries one by one.

1. The reports which you have uploaded are not suggestive of either anemia or vitamin D deficiency which are the most common treatable causes for such easy fatiguability which you are quoting.

2. 4-5 times a year, fever of 4-5 days is quite common in this age group and by what you quote looks like a recurrent viral illness. If your kid is normal in between fever episodes in a single day...I don't think you should worry. Danger signs include breathlessness/ rash/ low urine output/ seizures/ unconsciousness/ blood in motion. Don't worry if these are not there & the kid is active.

3. His height you say is on par with peers. I have checked his weight on CDC growth charts. Its coming between 5-15th centiles which means its normal. So you need not worry about his height and weight too.

4. Yellowish discoloration of teeth is staining which can easily be handled by a pediatric dental surgeon.

5. You can get him checked clinically but I am sure that the clinical examination will turn out to be normal.

6. There are no blood tests that need to be done.

7. Easy fatiguability might be because of inactivity too or lack of interest in surroundings. I suggest you to spend more time with him and ask him why he's feeling tired. If it's because of boredom or monotonous life, probably a change of routine life style might bring about a positive change.

Regards - Dr. Sumanth
Follow up: Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 19 hours later
Hi, Thanks for your reply
plz suggest what can be done to improve the Serum Ferritin Level, IRON Level

Secondly, Calcium is on higher side, do we have take some caution or change in diet is required

(plz refer reports)

Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You need not do anythig - these are normal reports

Detailed Answer:
Hi...as I have already said, these reports are normal. You need not worry about the ferritin level and iron level as the Hemoglobin level is normal. That is more important than anything else.

Calcium of 10.6 is not high for a 7.5 year old kid.

No change in diet is required.

Regards - Dr. Sumanth

Dr. Sumanth Amperayani

Pediatrician, Pulmonology