What are the side effects of overdose of Ondem syrup?

Dr. Arun

Pediatrician, Pulmonology

Posted on Tue, 21 Jul 2015 in Child Health
Question: hello sir,
my son was born with congenital arthrogryposis affecting his lower limbs..thats his history...now he is 9.5 months old weighing 8.5 kgs...he is suffering from cough and cold and a lil wheezing sound from his chest..when we went to see his paedriatician he prescibed azee syrup(100 mg) 4 ml once a day for 3 days..solvin decongestant 2 ml 3 times a day..ambrodyl s 3 ml..3 times a day and relent plus 2 ml at night...he gave perinorm syrup for vomitting but due to known side effects i decided not to go with perinorm and went ahead with ondem syrup( each 5 ml contains 2mg ondem)...now this is where we messed up..we gave 4 ml instead of 1.5 ml..is it a overdose? what shall we do? can u prescribe correct dosage for ondem syrup?and how many times it can be taken in a day for a child?....also other medicnes goven by his paed are they ok? please answer all my queries i am really worried about the overdose which we gave accidentally...
Answered by Dr. Arun 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
skip ambrodyl s

Detailed Answer:
Hi
First let me tell you there are too many medicines involved here.
Ambrodyl s and relent plus both have ambroxol.
It is better to skip ambrodyl s and continue relent plus which has ambroxol and cetrizine.
Ondem syrup at this age the dose can range from 1.5 to 2.5 ml Which is considered as safe limit.
Recommended once in eight hours till vomiting settles.
4 ml is a bit high but one or two doses shouldn't cause any harm.
Avoid giving ondem for next two doses.
Then you can restart it at 1.5 ml.
No need to worry. Your child will be safe.
No other medicines are required.
Wishing your child good health and speedy recovery.
Dr Arun
Follow up: Dr. Arun 4 hours later
sir ambrodyl s was prescribed by his paed 3ml three times a day and relent plus 2 ml at bed time...then if i switch to relent plus what will be the dosage? and how many times? he has congestion in his chest ..you can hear wheez sounds in his chest when you put stethoscope..please help me out with the correct medication and dosage......apart from this i also have nebuliser machine at my home...can i use it too? if yes then how along with all these medication?awaiting your reply sir,,

also he had given azithromycin syrup 4 ml once a day for 3 days...my sis is also a doctor she says to use bactoclav instead of azithromycin ...what shall i do i am really confused right now..please help me out sir..his cough in the chest is too much
Answered by Dr. Arun 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
nebuliser only with oxygen

Detailed Answer:
1. Continue relent plus in the current dosage.
2. Frequency could be twice daily ( morning and evening).
3. You can use ambrodyl s in the afternoon alone.
4. Nebulisations should be given with oxygen in a hospital. Twice daily with salbutamol one respule each time with oxygen. Avoid home nebulisations.
5. Azithromycin is a good antibiotic too. You need not change it.
Follow up: Dr. Arun 7 hours later
Sir one more question..what can we give him in food...we r giving him patato,moong daal,rice ,carrot ,beetroot mashed up and grinded to make a thin paste...is it ok ? Also he is on nan 2 and cow milk.....any more foods u can recommend in cough cold that will help my child?
Answered by Dr. Arun 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
avoid cow's milk

Detailed Answer:
It is recommended worldwide that cow's milk shouldn't be given to infants below one year.
Rest of the foods you are giving is ok.
Avoid sugar and salt in foods. Nan 2 can be given safely.
Rice gruel, idli, suji kheer, kitchdi can be given too provided they are prepared separately with very little sugar and without spicy.
Drinking liquids like tender coconut water, nan should help in maintaining hydration

Follow up: Dr. Arun 20 hours later
Hello once again sir,
My sons nose was blocked so his paed gave him ottrivin spray one spray each nostril 3 times a day for 5 days...you are well aware of all the other medications which are going on...instead of stopping ambrodyl s which was 3 ml three times a day he stopped relent plus at night and replaced it with plain Cetrizine 2 ml....are the medication correct ? Also azee 100 mg which was 4 ml once for 3 days...we have completed that today..can we continue that for 1-2 more days? Looking forward for your answer
Answered by Dr. Arun 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
yes correct medicines

Detailed Answer:
Stopping relent plus and changing to cetrizine at night is fine.
Continue ambrodyl s and cetrizine.
Azithromycin can be given upto 5 days. So you can continue for two more days.