Why do babies cry after drinking milk?

Dr. Pradeep Kumar

Pediatrician, Cardiology

Posted on Tue, 17 Apr 2018 in General Health
Question: hi
I am a new lactating mother. m confused if my milk is sufficient for my baby.. coz she often cries even after I feed for 20 minutes n takes her fingers in her mouth. how do I know if my milk is sufficient for her?
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Observe for urine frequency and wait gain

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for asking on this platform

I have gone through the query and do understand your concern.
I won't get worried if baby is passing urine at least 6-8 times in a day and gaining weight adequately.
This indicates that she is getting adequate amount of milk for proper growth.
Sometimes baby may cry even after feed but I would like to know if this happens after each feed or occasional.
Baby should be exclusively breast fed till 6 months of age but fir assessment of hunger you may try giving formula feed after breast feed. If baby accepts feeds even after taking breast feed this indicates that baby is hungry even after having breast feed. In that case you may need medications for stimulation of milk production like Perinorm or lactare.

I hope this helps.
Please let me know if you have any more questions.

Follow up: Dr. Pradeep Kumar 9 hours later
Thanks for your feedback.
We'd like to know what is recommended interval between feeds and duration of each feed. Should there be any difference while baby is awake vs. asleep or day vs. night hours?
My baby cries post breastfeeding occasionally, sometimes immediately and sometimes 15-20 mins post breast feed.
We've also tried providing formula milk which she accepts most of the times, 1-2 times in a day post breastfeeding.
Is there a standard to measure breast feed quantity per feed or per 24 hrs. My child is 2 months old.
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
Demand feed is best, weight gain and urine output are good indicators

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Breast feed should be on demand. Baby may need feed as early as one hour after feed or may not need it for 5-6 hours.
The best way to assess the adequacy of feed is check the weight and urinary frequency.
If urine frequency is 6-8 times a day or weight gain is adequate you need not to worry.
There is no specific difference between the day or night time feed as the stomach capacity is less during the initial months.
It is usually said that feed should be given at an interval of 2-4 hours, but practically this is not possible. You may get anxious in following tight schedule of feed and may try forced feed which is not good.
Take good nutritional food with plenty of fluids for better milk production. I won't get worried if baby is gaining weight properly and passing urine well.

I hope this helps.
I shall be glad to help further if you need any.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Pradeep Kumar 2 days later
Thanks so much Dr XXXXXXX .

what is the average weight she needs to gain... And in what time frame?
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
20-30 gram per day

Detailed Answer:
Hi

The average weight gain should be 20-30 gram per day(150-200 gm/week) and should be checked once in a week or at an interval of 2 weeks.
The weight should be doubled(of birth weight) by the age of 3-5 months.
During initial 6 months weight gain is more and then it starts decreasing. Most of the baby's weight gets tripled by age of 9-12 month.
Hope this answers your query.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Pradeep Kumar 11 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX
Though my child urinates approx. 6-7 times a day, while she has gained only 240 gms in past 20 days.
Baby usually breast feeds for 20mins per each feed and feels hunger within an hour post breast feeding.
We assume mother's milk is insufficient for baby's hunger / weight gain.
Would you suggest any medication or supplement or any specific dietary recommendations for the mother to help improve her breast feed.
Mother has had Lactare capsules for a month earlier but doesn't seem to have significantly helped increase in breast feed quantity.
Brief Answer:
You may take metoclopramide tablet

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Urine output is adequate but the weight gain is little less. Lactare is a herbal medicine and helps in stimulating milk production. You may restart that. Take Perinorm(metoclopramide) tablet along with that. It helps in production of milk. Take Plenty of fluid, proper nutrition and try to avoid all the anxiety.
Breast milk is the best feed and you should try your best for exclusive breast feed. More frequently you will feed more will be the milk production.
But even after all measures if you feel that breast milk is not adequate and weight gain is not proper you may try formula feed after consulting your pediatrician. There are many disadvantages of formula feed if proper care is not taken. The most important is infection if hygiene is not maintained properly.

Please let me know if you need any more help.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana