What causes persistent colic in an infant?

Dr. Pradeep Kumar

Pediatrician, Cardiology

Posted on Sat, 24 Mar 2018 in Child Health
Question: hi doc
my baby is 10 days old.i m still struggling to breast feed her.when she latches,she sucks only fr 10mins n then she sleeps..after 30 mins she starts crying again....wt shud i do?
i m taking pppperinrom twice and vigilac once a day.also i m taking lactonic twice daily to increase mikk ppproduction.but still i need to feed my baby on top feed.pls advise
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Continue trying, it may take time for some

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for asking on this platform

I have gone through the query and do understand your concern.
This is quite normal particularly for new mother(first baby) and if delivery is through surgery.
But still in most of the cases with time milk production increases. I would suggest you, not to get anxious;continue feeding as frequent as possible.
Perinorm and lactonic helps in producing more milk but the thing is that as frequent and as more as he will suck on your breast more will be the milk production.
Take Plenty of fluids with high calorie food fir better milk production. Each time before giving top feed try breast feed.

I am sure the milk production will increase with all these measures.
All the best
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Pradeep Kumar 1 hour later
yes i had csec but my baby does not latches . she does not wakes up by tickling in the foot or behind the ear. is there any other way to wake her up. also which latching technique should i use so its comfortable for both me and my baby
Brief Answer:
Continue stimulation while feeding

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for follow up

During initial few days of life baby may sleep for longer duration. As they grow their sleep pattern gets But you should not get worried for that. You just continue stimulating her while feed by tickling sole or behind the ears.
Make yourself comfortable while feeding.
You may use pillow in your lap as this helps in keeping baby at breast level and you need not to lean forward.
Her whole body should be in a plane with head end up(neck should not be flexed). Turn her whole body towards yourself and keep her closer to your body. Her chin should touch the nipple and mouth should be wide open with lower lip everted out.
Check the urine frequency and if it is more than 6 times a day, it suggests that the baby is getting adequate amount of milk.

I hope these measures will help you in proper feeding.