What are the side effects of gastric bypass surgery?

Dr. Sassen S Kwasa

Posted on Mon, 2 Nov 2015 in General Health
Question: Hi, Ive been feeling pretty bad lately. I have had a Very hard time losing weight despite having gastric bypass and exercise. I am extremely tired. Blood sugar drops spontaneously, sweating profusely, and a hoarse voice. Blood results show Low ferritin, which I suspected, high t3 free, low sodium, high platelets, high iron binding capacity. What could thr combination of these things mean?
Answered by Dr. Sassen S Kwasa 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You have side effects of gastric bypass.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to HCM. Unfortunately you are describing her Classics side effects of gastric bypass. Your blood sugar drops spontaneously, and the sweating is in the indication of hypoglycemia. You have low blood sugar because you do not have enough time to absorb food, it passes too quickly/short transit time. Your hoarse voice could be due to acid reflux. Since your stomach is smaller, you are full of content thus the food is more easily regurgitated up to your throat causing the hoarse voice from acid in your stomach. And from reading the other symptoms you also have quite the metabolic derangement. Please visit with your doctor because these are symptoms that need to be corrected, otherwise you will start having caloric and protein deficiencies and anemia, this is not good, this is a slippery slope. Good luck and I wish you good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T