What are the side effects of Seroquel and Lamotrigine?

Dr. Sandip Kabra

Posted on Mon, 2 Nov 2015 in General Health
Question: Seroquel 350mg and lamotrigine 25mg what side effects should to look out for my niece has bieng diagnosed bipolar manic depressive she is 14yrs of age and is presently given the above medicine
Answered by Dr. Sandip Kabra 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Will answer of both drugs one by one.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to health care magic,

1) Seroquel (Quetiapine) is an atypical antipsychotic used to treat schizophrenia, major depressive psychosis.

Its common and possible side effects include:

Constipation, stomach upset, drowsiness, dizziness, tiredness, headache, trouble sleeping, dry mouth, behavioral changes, breast swelling or discharge, missed menstrual periods, increased appetite, and weight gain.

2) The most common side effects of lamotrigine (brand name:lamictal) is allergies and they can be severe and hence doctors usually start with a small dose and then go up higher gradually.

Also it can lower the WBC counts as well.So,WBCs counts needs to be monitored periodically.

Get emergency medical help if your niece develops any of these signs of an allergic reaction like hives, fever,swollen glands, painful sores in or around your eyes or mouth, difficulty breathing, swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.However,they are usually uncommon.

Also,report to your treating doctor if she will have any new or worsening symptoms such as mood or behavior changes, depression, anxiety, restless, hyperactive (mentally or physically) or have thoughts about suicide or hurting herself.

I hope this helps.

Dr.Sandip Kabra
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T