What are the chances of passing on herpes with oral intercourse?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jan 2014
Jan 2014

Dermatologist
Question

My husband made blood tests for herpes. It came positive for herpes 1 and negative for herpes 2. He repeated the same tests just to make sure later (like three months after) and it came back the same result.

About three days ago he developed some mild small red pimples above penis, when we searched the internet of how herpes looks like, it didn't look the same, so we thought it's just a rash.

By coincidence he went to the doctor with me as I was having an appointment for another problem, and he showed the doctor the tiny pimples, and the doctor said it looks like herpes. My husband told him he had herpes 1, and the doctor said it can go to his genitals through oral sex.

Well first my husband always had herpes 1 since he was a kid and if it appears every like three years it appears on his mouth, is it possible that he infected himself by touching his lips and transferring the virus to the genitals ?

Second I don't have herpes 1, so how come I give it to him through oral sex, and even if I have it and I don't know it, he already has it in the mouth, the virus settled in his mouth.

Third, and this is really important cause we are going in loops me and him, is that, since he tested negative for herpes 2 through a blood antibody test, done twice, three months apart, does that GUARANTEE that he does NOT have herpes 2 ?

If it was the case that he only have herpes 1, did he infect himself in the genitals ? and I am always scared that he spit on me, cause sometimes when he speak he spit by accident on my eye and I always freak out and wash my eye, can herpes 1 infect the eye through a spit from someone whether is is active or non-active in the virus

After what the doctor said, our relationship is affected, I don't want to give him oral sex, since I want these pimples to be cleared first, and I don't know what is the use of herpes blood test s if there is still doubt he has 1 or 2, please help, and how can I prevent transmission :(

I'm scared
Posted Sun, 31 Aug 2014 in Infections

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Need more information+photograph of the lesions

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome to healthcaremagic

I am Dr. Kakkar. I have gone through your query and I have understood it.

Herpes can be transmitted by intimate close contact e.g oro genital or genial to genital contact. It is unlikely that he transmitted the virus by his hand to his genitals. The virus does'nt survive in dried body secretions.

Spitting coming into contact with eye can cause transmission as there is is direct mucosal to mucosal contact.

Type 1 herpes virus can infect both the oral as well as genital mucosa. If a blood test says that someone has type 1 herpes infection, it could be either oral or genital herpes.

If indeed the genital lesions we are concerned over here are due to herpes, one possibility is that you got the virus from him during kissing (oro- labial herpes) even though you never had an episode and then subsequently transferred the same virus to his genitals(oro-genital route).

Another possibility is that he got the virus from sexual encounter outside marriage.

I would like to gather more information from you in order to be able to guide you better

-have you ever got tested for herpes?
-can you upload a picture of the genitals lesions so that I can confirm if it is indeed herpes?

Follow-up: What are the chances of passing on herpes with oral intercourse? 20 minutes later
Thanks doctor, he is not around me right now, but I will ask him to provide a picture when he comes back like in an hour.

But if he tested negative for herpes 2 blood test, it means, he for sure doesn't have it ?

also how would I manage, cause he always speaks next to my face an can from time to time have a tiny spit fly into my eye, does a lot of people get infected through such route ?

thanks
Follow-up: What are the chances of passing on herpes with oral intercourse? 2 minutes later
sorry forgot also to write, no I didn't test for herpes.

Also he had herpes 1 since he was a kid, is it possible that a person who has hepres 1 always in the mouth, be reinfected in genitals ?

thanks

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 12 hours later
Brief Answer:
Herpes type 1 virus

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

I would suggest you to get tested as well for herpes since you have been his sexual partner.

As the tests have revealed that he is infected only with type 1 virus. That means he is negative for type 2 virus.

Transmission through his own hand to his genitalia is unlikely.

Droplet infection is a possibility specially if you rub the infected droplet into your eye. This is an uncommon route though.

Upload a few clear digital photographs,if possible