What are the causes of ear infection ?
I am sorry your mom is dealing with these persistent symptoms related to her ears and her hearing. There are a couple of possibilities which could be going on here. Her physician gave her an antibiotic which will help eliminate any bacteria which triggered the infection.
At this point as the infection is likely resolved, the ear drum may be in the process of healing. Sometimes an infection can cause a bit of scarring of the eardrum which may appear as white spots. These usually heal such that no significant detriment to hearing occurs. Sometimes, an additional course of antibiotic drops or antibiotic drops with a steroid can be used to hasten recovery.
Another possibility here is that there could be a minor fungal infection which is affecting her ear. If this is a fungal type of infection - there are special anti-fungal drops which may be used.
I am not surprised that her hearing is not yet back to normal. With any infection there will be some inflammation of the eardrum and inner ear. This causes a buildup of fluid sometimes which causes a muffling of the hearing. This will generally resolve over a number of weeks as the inflammation improves.
I hope my answer to your query has been both informative and adequate. Should you have followup questions, I am available to address them.
I wish you and your mother all the best and continued good health.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Middle ear infection causes
- Severe ear infection causes
- Double ear infection causes
- Frequent ear infections causes
- What causes hissing in an ear infection
- Inner ear infection causes
- Will meth cause ear infection
- Causes of repeated ear infections
- Causes of adult ear infections
- What causes an ear infections
- What does "biapical pleural thickening through the lung apices" in CT...
- Muscle mass, lack of facial hair, male breasts, testosterone, hormonal...
- Bells palsy, minor trauma, medication, platelet function, bleeding, bruises
- Eye weakness, viral infection, nerve weakness in eye, bells palsy
- No period for 9 months, high prolactin levels, microandenoma,...
- Is pregnancy possible with inconsistent pregnancy test results and heavy...
- Can Plan B cause spotting and blood clots in urine ?
- Salt in Chinese food, tachycardia, pulse rate 150, BP under control
- How can genetically obtained dry skin be treated ?
- Diabetes, high BP, renal failure, serum creatinine high, loss of...