Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
169 Doctors are Online

Treatment for painful lump in back and pain in neck and upper arm?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 2568 Questions
Hi I have a marble size lump in my back near my shoulder blade and it is very painful and so is my neck and upper arm, I've been applying a heating pad and taking Tylenol but has been this way for almost two weeks
Posted Sun, 16 Mar 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Prasad 1 hour later
Brief Answer: You need to be evaluated... Detailed Answer: Hi, I understand your concern. However if this lump has not resolved over 2 weeks with heating pads and tylenol, I don't feel other pain relieving measures going to help you any more. I would order for at least an ultrasound examination to figure the cause of this painful lump before recommending a good treatment. It may be an infected cyst, follicle, lymph node or an inflammed musculoskeletal structure. Therefore I urge you to visit a local physician or orthopedic surgeon and discuss about this test. In the interim, you can try ibuprofen 400mg twice a day instead of tylenol (if you aren't allergic to it) and the heating pad. Make sure you rest well and avoid physical strains. Hope this information is helpful. Let me know if you need clarifications. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Treatment for painful lump in back and pain in neck and upper arm? 5 minutes later
Would any of these cause pain in my neck and arm also
Answered by Dr. Prasad 8 minutes later
Brief Answer: Can occur... Detailed Answer: If any of these are compressing on a nerve the pain impulse can radiate to arms and neck. As I mentioned in my previous reply, I would not be able to isolate the exact cause without tests. Based on your description ultrasound examination seem to be gold standard investigation of choice. Off course there are various pain remedy options with prescription medicines; however those will only be able to control the symptoms and not treat the cause. Hence I feel it is important that you proceed with investigations to treat this problem as a whole. Hope my message is clear and acceptable to you. Write back if you need clarifications. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor