Treated for hypothyroidism. Found lump under the adam's apple. Are they related?

Dr. P. T. Patil

Urologist

Posted on Thu, 7 Feb 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: I have a small pea sized lump just right and under the adam's XXXXXXX I noticed it about three weeks ago and at first thought it was a pimple but it is not. I have Been treated for hypothyroidism which recent tests showed I need to reduce the meds because I now have hyperthyroidism numbers. It is hard lump but the skin is not red from it. It also is not painful at all and I probably would not have noticed it if I did not shave everyday.
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 3 hours later
Hello

Based on the facts that you have posted it appears to be a Thyroid Nodule. Some more information will be of great help to me to conclude the nature of this lump.
1) Does it move upwards while protruding your tongue?
2) Do you have fever now or in the recent past?
3)Do you have any lump in neck?

In view of the history of thyroid disease tt appears to be a either a "Discrete Thyroid nodule" or "Thyroglosal Duct Cyst". The possibility can only be confirmed by careful physical examination. Fine needle aspiration is entailed after the clinical examination.

I would be able to comment more after hearing from you.

Regards.
Dr.Patil

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. P. T. Patil 15 hours later
Thank you for your quick response. The answer to your questions are:

1. No it does not move upward when protruding my tongue.
2. No fever now, had a low grade fever about a week ago but that might have been from a sinus infection I was fighting.
3. The pea sized lump is at the very front of my neck just at the adam's XXXXXXX It protrudes out but it is not noticeable at this time since it is very small lump (similar to a pimple).
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 1 hour later
Hello
Thanks for the follow up.
It seems to be a discrete Thyroid nodule and nothing needs to be done about it. However, it is better to have a tissue diagnosis by doing Fine Needle Aspiration Biopsy. For this, I would suggest you see your physician.
Thanks with Regards
Dr.Patil
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Aparna Kohli