Took regestrone for hyperplacia. Again started with irregular and heavy periods. Any thoughts?
Thanks for your query.
Regesterone is norethisterone, which is a synthetic progestogen. Progestogen is a female hormone produced in the body. It keeps the endometrial proliferation in control. Endometrial hyperplasia is usually caused by unopposed exposure to the other female hormone, called as estrogen.
It is routinely employed to treat menstrual disorders like menorrhagia (heavy bleeding), premenstrual syndrome and endometriosis. In fact, it is central to treat endometrial hyperplasia induced menorrhagia. Alternatively, progesterone-impregnated intrauterine device can be used.
It is important to watch out for the side effects of this medicine on prolonged use. The side-effects can be weight gain, changes in libido, premenstrual-like syndrome, depression, gastro-intestinal disturbances and irregular bleeds. You may discuss with your physician, if you feel you are having any side-effects.
It is useful to do a repeat ultrasound of uterus regularly to see any changes happening in endometrium. Also a biopsy of endometrium should be taken to rule out more ominous diseases like cancer.
Hope, I addressed your concerns. Let me know if I can help you further.
Dr Vaishalee Punj
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Heavy periods on statin medication
- Heavy periods on atkins
- Skipped a period then heavy period
- Started spotting and got heavy period whats wrong
- Heavy periods regestrone
- Heavy periods and indigestion
- Heavy periods after marriage
- Heavy period and black stool
- Very heavy periods and depression
- Heavy periods after termination
- Breathlessness, dizziness. Have PVCs. When do you know they are causing...
- Having abdominal pain, vomiting and diarrhea. On antitubercular...
- Baby started teething. Diet plan to increase weight?
- Having protected sex. Started spotting before period. Taking midol for...
- Broke my distal fibula. On elavil for cold feet. Having sensory nerve...
- Took regestrone for hyperplacia. Again started with irregular and heavy...
- Taking SN-15 for bad throat. Having speaking difficulty. Prescribed...
- What is the normal penis size in flaccid and erect state?
- Have itching on the penis, premature ejaculation and erectile...
- Taking lupron. Feeling weak and started sweating. What is the underlying...