Suggest treatment for polycystic ovarian syndrome
what is the treatment for polycystic ovarian bilateral.
Treatment is according to the symptoms.
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
Polycystic ovarian syndrome is caused by a derangement in the action of insulin, a hormone that controls blood sugar. There is no cure to this as it seems to stem from genetic origin. All treatments are aimed at reducing the symptoms it causes ( anovulation, acne, excess body hair ) and also to prevent long term complications ( endometrial hyperplasia, heart disease, diabetes, cholesterol problems ) arising out of this.
As obesity is known to worsen the situation, lifestyle changes like diet and exercise is the mainstay of treatment and reduction of body weight even by 5% helps at least 30 to 40% of women to restore their menstrual cycles. If this alone doesn't work, periods can be regularised by hormonal pills. In women trying for baby other drugs are used to induce ovulation. The treatment may have to be taken for a long term along with continued diet and exercise.
If you do not like to take hormonal pills, treatment is aimed at inducing at least 4 menstrual cycles in a year by using hormonal pills called progestagens.
I suggest you to get glucose tolerance test with 75 g of glucose. If your test report says impaired glucose tolerance then you may have to take metformin for a long time. This reduces the risk of future diabetes or slows it down.
Long term use of any medication has to be weighed for its risks versus benefits for treatment. Hormonal pills though may not be entirely safe, it may be required to prevent long term complications like endometrial hyperplasia.
I also suggest you to consult your gynaecologist for discussing your treatment options and proceed accordingly.
Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Qlaira treatment polycystic ovarian syndrome
- Polycystic ovarian syndrome dydrogesterone
- Polycystic ovarian syndrome mercilon
- Polycystic ovarian syndrome and psychosis
- What is the treatment of bilateral polycystic ovarian syndrome
- Polycystic ovarian syndrome and migraines
- Unani treatments for polycystic ovarian syndrome
- Treatment and cure for polycystic ovarian syndrome
- Polycystic ovarian syndrome symptoms and treatment
- Polycystic ovarian syndrome treatment diet
- Sex after candid v3 treatment
- What causes breasts to shrink and invert nipples?
- What should i do for chest infection and high BP ?
- What should i do to know whether i am HIV infected ?
- Does increased smoking and alcohol intake during stress increase heart...
- Is it possible to resolve monoamine oxidase deficiency by controlling diet?
- Late menstrual cycle, negative pregnancy test, laparoscopy
- Are there any side effects of abortion pills ? How long will it take to...
- Cut caffeine, low BP, frequent bloating, extreme fatigue, slight pain in...
- What post surgical care is needed following a spinal cord stimulator...