Suggest treatment for PCOD

Posted on Wed, 17 Aug 2016 in Women's Health
Question: Would like to have solution for PCOD , irregular menses problem
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Losing some extra kilos will help.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
Polycystic ovarian syndrome is caused by a derangement in the action of insulin, a hormone that controls blood sugar. There is no cure to this as it seems to stem from genetic origin. All treatments are aimed at reducing the symptoms it causes ( anovulation, acne, excess body hair ) and also to prevent long term complications ( endometrial hyperplasia, heart disease, diabetes, cholesterol problems ) arising out of this.
As obesity is known to worsen the situation, lifestyle changes like diet and exercise is the mainstay of treatment and reduction of body weight even by 5% helps at least 30 to 40% of women to restore their menstrual cycles. If this alone doesn't work, periods can be regularised by hormonal pills. In women trying for baby other drugs are used to induce ovulation. The treatment may have to be taken for a long term along with continued diet and exercise.
If you do not like to take hormonal pills, treatment is aimed at inducing at least 4 menstrual cycles in a year by using hormonal pills called progestagens.
I suggest you to get glucose tolerance test with 75 g of glucose. If your test report says impaired glucose tolerance then you may have to take metformin for a long time. This reduces the risk of future diabetes or slows it down.
Long term use of any medication has to be weighed for its risks versus benefits for treatment. Hormonal pills though may not be entirely safe, it may be required to prevent long term complications like endometrial hyperplasia.
I also suggest you to consult your gynaecologist for discussing your treatment options and proceed accordingly.

Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN