Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
162 Doctors are Online

Tested for toxic molds. Had severe cough and skin problems. Removed furniture. Suggest medication?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2006
Answered : 567 Questions
My daughter lived in a house which tested for 4 toxic molds. She has since has had a severe cough and skin problems. She now is living with us and what furniture she brought with us we have removed from the house. Is their any medications that would relieve her symptoms. I have been told that these mold toxins can remain in her body and eventually cause her severe problems.
Posted Wed, 28 Aug 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Jay Patel 2 hours later

I am dr XXXXXXX and I will try my level best to address your concern.

The mold toxins will usually be washed or destroyed by liver and hence they will mostly cause damage to liver. So it all depends how long is the exposure of the surroundings with molds.

The toxicity will go away if the person is removed from the environment, mean while the person need to be treated for the prior damage.

Hope it helps to calm your nerves, let me know if you need some more information / any things do not make sense.

Thanks for query, and feel free to contact me in case of any concerns.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Tested for toxic molds. Had severe cough and skin problems. Removed furniture. Suggest medication? 38 minutes later
If you have liver damage will it cause other medical conditions such as sinus infections, skin rashes, respiratory problems and ear infections, as her daughter and two dogs are showing symptoms also. We live in new house which was built a short time ago, but she is fearful that the furniture that was moved here that was contaminated from the mold infested house has gotten into the air ducts and be airborne in the new house. We have replaced all the mattresses and gotten rid of all furniture that was in the other house. However, we had lived in a house
in XXXXXXX in which we found black mold when we moved out of it and all of our
belongings were subjected to the mold in that house. Is there a medication that she can be given that will treat any affects from the mold.
Answered by Dr. Jay Patel 59 minutes later

The sinusitis, skin rashes and respiratory problems are basically due to allergic condition created by moulds in the air, they will go away once you have the things containing moulds away. Based on the information it does not seem like your daughter has any harm to liver.

The mould in the diet will cause damage to liver, but as you mentioned they are in your furniture and air duct, its not worrisome as its mere allergic response, nothing serious implication are their. Just treat the present symptoms and it will not have any complication in future accept the same respiratory problems if they come in to the contact with mould again.

I think this is enough to clear confusion, still feel free to contact me in case of any further information/clarification is needed.

Thanks again.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Pulmonologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor