Taking thyronorm for hypothyroid. Getting pain in intercourse. Have cyst in ovary. Advice?

Dr. Aarti Abraham

OBGYN

Posted on Mon, 11 Feb 2013 in Women's Health
Question: Hi Doc, I am a hypothyroid female (having same since Oct 2011) , which is currently under control (both TSH and free t3 and t4) , taking 75 mcg of thyronorm. Also in last 6 months i had a infection in vagina probably contracted via my husband and have taken a softgel capsules for insertion and metrogyl. last week post intercourse i had a sharp pain in my pelvic areas , stomach and lower back and we had to rush to doc, who recommended USG and gave cyclopam. post that in last one week i am experiencing sharp needle like pain in stomach and exp heaviness in stomach . I have got the whole abdomain USG done and report is normal for all areas except a 3.5 cm functional cyst in right ovaries. I am having motion which is slightly loose and i feel the vomiting sensation at times. Now the problem is the constant needle like sharp pain and heaviness in stomach, lower abdomain and back ache as if i am about to get periods have made life very difficult. Can you please suggest what the problem is and what all tests i should get done .
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 2 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX

There are a number of causes for the cluster of symptoms that you describe.

A recurrence of the pelvic inflammatory disease that you earlier had could cause such pain. For that you need to see a gynecologist, undergo a complete per speculum and per vaginum examination, samples/swab of discharge if any, and appropriate treatment.

Also, apart from that you mentioned painful intercourse, with pain radiating to lower back also. Conditions like ovarian cyst or endometriosis can present this way. You have a 3.5 cm functional cyst which is too small to trouble you so severely, however endometriosis is often missed on ultrasound. It is a clinical diagnosis and often, needs laparoscopy to confirm it.

GIven your symptoms of loose motions and vomiting, you could be having mild gastroenteritis also. In fact, it is a very strong possibility, as gastroenteritis also often causes pelfic heaviness and pain, and tenderness on XXXXXXX intercourse as well as loose motions and vomiting. A check up with your doctor will help you confirm this diagnosis, for which you need to take antibiotics if the infection is severe, and have a mild, bland diet XXXXXXX in probiotics ( dahi, yoghurt ) and avoid eating outside completely.

backache etc. Complete urine analysis and urine culture will let you know if this is the case.

Very rarely, other organs like the appendix etc, if inflamed, present a similar picture.

Please go for a check up at the earliest. Meanwhile, do take antispasmodics like Buscopan/ Dicyclomine to help ease the pain, and the dietary modifications as advised.

Take care and feel free to ask for further clarifications.