What causes dull pain in the left abdomen?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2018
Feb 2018

General Surgeon
Question
I have a dull pain in my left abodmen and mid and upper back, sometimes its a spasm. My left shoulder also sometimes hurts or burns. Now i feel the pain radiating to my right side of my abodmen and lower back. I had a baby in XXXXXXX what could this be, im afraid im dying.
Mon, 7 May 2018 in Abdominal Pain

Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Needs proper evalaution

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Noted the history and understood the concerns.
First of all do not be worried or panicked until the diagnosis has been made.
The most probable reasons for your symptoms may be related to the following:
Pain in left side of abdomen, mid and upper back may be due to gastritis or pancreatitis.
Left shoulder pain be due to local causes of joint or rarely referred one due to abdominal condition.
If the pain is now radiating to the right side of abdomen and lower back may be due to spread of the process.
Hence I would advise you the following:
Ultrasonography of abdomen.
X-ray of abdomen.
Tests of stool, urine and blood.
Clinical evaluation and examination to help further.
All these things will lead to a proper diagnosis which in turn leads to proper management.

Please give additional information for me to assist you further:
Since when is the problem present?
Any changes in stool and urine?
Any bloating, nausea, vomiting hard or loose stools?
Any other information please.

Follow-up: What causes dull pain in the left abdomen? 2 hours later
Its been over a week. It started as left back pain which i thought was a pulled muscle from lifting my daughter. I have been bloated and slightly constipated but no other changes. I also have a bad chest cold with a deep cough that start a week ago.

Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
As detailed.

Detailed Answer:
Bad chest cold, deep cough, left backache started about a week ago and may indicate flu; may be without fever hence even lifting a baby caused you backache.
Bloating can again be due to the same.
I think a symptomatic treatment with Paracetamol and/or Ibuprofen and any other medications should hell you but needs to be under medical guidance as you may be breast feeding the baby.
Take bed-rest as much as you can.