Taking mucinex and antihistamine for neck pain and cough. Noticed severe nose bleed. Cause?

Dr. Sumit Bhatti

ENT Specialist

Posted on Mon, 21 Jan 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I started having bad neck pain the day after Christmas. I stayed in bed most of 5 days. The neck pain was worse when I tried to sleep. I felt like I had a cold in my neck. I had a sore throat that eventually went away. The neck pain went away. But I still felt sluggish. I have not had any fever. I started taking Mucinex and a decongestant/antihistamine and started feeling better. Last night I went to bed and woke up with a severe nose bleed. I finally got that stopped and now if I force myself to cough there is a small amount of blood from the cough. Could this be from the nosebleed?
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later

Thank you for your query.

1. After a severe cold, this is commonly seen. Body ache, fatigue is usually seen in a viral infection. I am not sure whether you are referring to neck pain as in cervical spine related pain or throat pain due to a sore throat.

2. Anti-histamines and decongestants tend to dry the nose, mouth and throat. Other causes include trauma while cleaning, wiping nasal secretions or discharge.

3. Decongestants may raise the blood pressure.

4. These are the common causes for bleeding from the nose (epistaxis).

5. The small blood trickles down the throat and may be coughed up (hemoptysis). This is also common after epistaxis.

6. If the bleeding from the nose was from one side, it is important to get an ENT examination and preferably nasal endoscopy done.

7. I am assuming that you are not on any blood thinning medication which are commonly prescribed and that your routine blood tests and coagulogram is normal.

8. Avoid coughing hard, sneeze with the mouth open, sleep with your head elevated, apply ice and pinch the nose if there is another nose bleed. Visible bleeders may be cauterized.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Sumit Bhatti 37 minutes later
Thank you for the response. I do have another question. How long would I continue to see bleed from a cough if it is from the nose bleed? I continue to see blood now when I cough but again not much.
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 17 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. You may continue to throw out small clots for a few days even after the bleeding may have stopped.

2. You should seek immediate medical attention if there is any increase in the blood or if you cough up fresh blood again.

3. If the blood is decreasing, there is no cause for worry. However I would urge you to get your examination and investigations (as mentioned above) as soon as possible.

Regards.