What causes burning sensation in the throat and chest after exposure to paint fumes?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Sep 2017
Sep 2017

Pulmonologist
Question
I wire brushed an area in front of my washer in the where I had painted the cement floor and the paint had not adhered. I assume the paint probably had not adhered due to some laundry chemicals being spilled some time in tbasement he past. I created some dust and was in the area for about 10 minutes. Right after I felt some burning in my lungs and throat. It has been about 3 or 4 weeks and I feel fine when I rest at night, but when I get up and start moving I start to feel some soreness in my throat and upper chest. My breathing has been fine right along. Any thoughts on how I should treat this?
Mon, 7 May 2018 in Lung and Chest disorders

Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Drink plenty of fluids orally and inhale fresh air.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your question on Healthcare Magic.
I can understand your concern.
You are mostly having irritation and inflammation in throat and airways due to inhalation of chemicals.
This is usually self limiting in 1-2 days.
You should immediately come out from that area.
Inhale fresh air from open environment.
Drink plenty of fluids orally.
Do normal water gargles 5-6 times a day.
You can take simple painkiller like ibuprofen for throat soreness.
You will mostly improve with all these in 1-2 days.
But if you develop breathing difficulty or excessive coughing or hemoptysis (blood in sputum) then you should definitely consult doctor.
Hope I have solved your query. I will be happy to help you further. Wish you good health. Thanks.