Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
145 Doctors are Online

Taking medicine to control TSH level. Looking for diet plan

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 1980
Answered : 1 Question
My husband has thyroid problem since 8 months. His TSH was around 10 when we identified he has Thyroid problem. all other hormones(like T3 T4, etc) are normal . He is checking TSH every month and there is no much variation.

Last month his TSH level is 9.8. this 21st it raised to 15.8. Doctor said it will not go so high in one month with homeo medicines. so asked to repeat the test.
Today morning he went for test and report came as 11.8.

WE are confused how can there be so much variation with in 5 days
I have following questions.

Will any diet like soya affect TSH levels? can a thyroid patient take soya regularly.
Is there a chance that both the reports are correct with same homeo medicine. there is no change in the dosage. he is taking this medicine dosage since 2 months. First month TSH came down by .8 . this month so much variation ( on 21st XXXXXXX it was 15.9 and 26th XXXXXXX its 11.8)

Can thyroid patient take any food.
What food is good and what food( or other life style) is XXXXXXX for him.
Posted Fri, 15 Feb 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Rahul Tawde 22 hours later
Thanks for writing in. I'm afraid homeo medication isnt working. If anyone's TSH was more than 10 it would probably mean lifelong thyroxine replacement. There is no food which isnt safe for thyroid patient. But it is advisable not to take cruciferacae vegetables like cauliflower, cabbage, radish and also soyabean in bulk quantities. Normal quantities are safe. Soya has been shown to be associated with hypothyroidism so excess consumption isnt advisable for a thyroid patient. Variation in TSH is due to lab error. My advice is to stop homeo medication and start thyroxine replacement which is more natural than homeo treatment.
Hope this helps.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Endocrinologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor