Taking cernos 40mg and megalis 20 mg. Will this cause any affect on fertility or sperm count?

Dr. Mahesh Koregol

Infertility Specialist

Posted on Fri, 8 Feb 2013 in Men's Health
Question: Q : Hi My testosterone level Complete is 3.58 ng/ml Free flow is 79 pg/mL and I am taking Cernos testosterone tablet 40mg daily one tablet morning.

Apart from this I have erection issues so doctor has advised me Megalis(20mg) occasionaly before having sex.

I am planning for my second kid now and will taking Megalis and Cernos tablets will affect my fertility or sperm count ?

What is the best time to have sex? My wife has a period cycle of 26 days. I have tried it past 4months around 10-14 th days period without success.

please advice.
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 49 minutes later

I read your query and understand your concerns.

Following is my reply:

1) A typical normal male testosterone level range given is 260 -1080 ng/dl. Your test reports are in units of 3.58 ng /ml. if you convert them into ng/di , your value of total testosterone is 358 ng / ml which is absolutely with in normal limits.

2) Normal range for free testosterone for men between 30-39 years age is50-210 picogram/mL. Your level is 79 pg/ ml which is absolutely normal.

3) Since your total and free testosterone is within normal limits I don’t see any reason for you to consume the tablets. I think you see an endocrinologist and consider stopping the testosterone tablets after meeting endocrinologist.

4) Since already you have a baby, the erectile dysfunction may be due to stress, life style problems or any other psychological problems rather than physical problems. Practice relaxation techniques like yoga, meditation, exercise etc....

5) If your wife's cycle is of 26 days, ovulation occurs 14 days prior that is around 12th day. Hence you try between 10th day to 16th day.

6) Cernos tablets actually increase sperm count in men with testosterone deficiency and megalis won’t harm your sperms. Hence no need to worry.

You are a healthy young man with no physical problems. Just relax and try for pregnancy which should not be a problem.

I hope I answered your query. I will be available for any follow up queries you have.

Dr.Mahesh Koregol
IVF & Infertility Specialist.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Mohammed Kappan
Follow up: Dr. Mahesh Koregol 21 minutes later
Hi

Thanks for saying Cernos and Megalise will not affect sperm count or my desire to have second kid....

One of sexual medicine specialist asked me to take Cernos for 3months becuase my testosterone levels are in border line and see if it improves the condition.

My sperm production during intercouse is pretty less and the erection is also less. Becuase of that I feel I am not able to have intercouse as prefered and at the ejaculation time I dont think enough sperms are released or it reach depth. While I masturbate also the the liquid doesnt shoot up to far like I had few years before. It just comes out slowly.

Is there something I can improve while having intercourse ? My first kid is now 8yrs old...Its high time now I need to plan for second kid. Past 4 months I am trying without any success...I smoke around 10 cigerates per day. Is it effects the situation ?

Could you suggest me something which will boost my confidence and increase the sperm count or the way I do intercourse?

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 50 minutes later

Glad to see you back.

1) Your testosterone levels are just fine. You have absolutely no requirement of medicines for it. Please stop it after consulting your treating doctor as hormones are not to be taken without proper indication.

2) Your ability to produce children depends on the sperm count, motility and morphology in the ejaculate. The volume more than 1 ml is sufficient for this. You dont compare the sperm count with large volume of semen or the how far the ejaculate goes. All these are unnecessary worries and have no scientific base.

3) Please get semen analysis done from a good laboratory in Bangalore where you stay. It gives you accurate information about sperm count and other parameters.

4) Your cigarette smoking is probably the reason for your erectile dysfunction. Smoking also affects semen parameters. I suggest you stop smoking immediately and you will see improvement in your health and erection.

Please accept my answer if no more queries.

Dr.Mahesh Koregol.
IVF & Infertility Specialist