What causes scanty periods after taking norethisterone?
Question: I am due to have a frozen embryo transfer. It got delayed because i have a cyst on my ovary. I was put on norethisterone for rwo weeks and scanned: the cyst was still there. I had to take norethisterone for snother week then wait for my period. I had my period but it is very light. Does a light period bode badly about this cyst? Should ihave had a heavier period?
Brief Answer: LIGHTER BLEEDING SHOULD NOT WORRY YOU Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for writing to us with your health concern. After norethisterone, the period you would have would not be technically a ' natural ' period, but withdrawal bleeding in response to hormone withdrawal. Such ' periods ' are often characterized by a scant bleeding or often only spotting. So do not read much into it. The light period does not really corelate with the cyst. A review scan will tell you if the cyst resolved and if the endometrium is primed for the embryo transfer. To answer your question - no, the lighter period does not have any negative impact on the planned procedure or on the presence / absence of the cyst. Take care. Please feel free to ask for further clarifications.
Brief Answer: THEY WOULD LOOK AT ENDOMETRIAL THICKNESS Detailed Answer: Hi, Before going for the frozen embryo transfer, they give you progynova which is estrogen. Estrogen is basically given to build up the endometrial lining, to thicken it and prime it for optimum reception of the embryo which is to be transferred. At the next scan, they would look at the endometrium, whether it is growing well enough to receive the embryo. You would not ovulate, as you would have been given inhibitory injections in the previous cycle ( this is called down regulation ). All the best.
But i havent been given the down regulation medication so i am worried that i will ovulate - should i have been given down regulation drugs?
Brief Answer: DETAILED BELOW Detailed Answer: Yes, you should definitely have been given some kind of down regulation medication. Otherwise spontaneous ovulation would occur.
I know i havent been given any. I think my clinic have therefore made a mistake. I should have been on suprefact nasal spray but they did not tell me to take it in my previous cycle. Therefore i am now worried they have made an error. Frozen transfer cant go ahead if i have been on down regulating drugs...is that right?
Brief Answer: DETAILED BELOW Detailed Answer: Frozen transfer requires you to be on down regulation in the previous cycle for sure. Please clarify this at the earliest with your clinic.
I just spoke to my clinic and apparently the progynova will prevent ovulation I hope that is right. Do i need to ask them anything more specific?
Brief Answer: DETAILED BELOW Detailed Answer: Well, progynova alone will not reliably prevent ovulation. You need to specifically ask them why downregulation ( for eg. The suprafact spray you mentioned ) was not given in the previous cycle.
Apparently I am going to be closely monitored to make sure I do not ovulate and I am going back in for a scan in 5 days time. I am meant to take 1000mg of zithromax before then - I know this is an antibiotic, but why am I taking this? Thanks - and a bigger thanks for answering ALL of my questions!
Brief Answer: DETAILED BELOW Detailed Answer: Hi again. Still does not make sense to me why they did not prime you in the previous cycle. Could you specifically ask them that ? Also, antibiotics are given before embryo transfer to prevent ascending uterine infection from the procedure, and increase chances of pregnancy. Maybe this will help - WWW.WWWW.WW Thank you for the appreciation. Many cheers of the festive season, and all the best for the transfer. Please feel free to contact me directly anytime at - WWW.WWWW.WW
Hi, I spoke to my clinic. They did not put me on the nasal spray because I had a cyst. When I went in for the scan on 30th December they decided to go straight to progynova because this is the first time in months that my ovaries have been "quiet" - the doctor thought that by putting me on nasal spray it might bring along another cyst and delay things further. I am going in for another scan in 3 days if I am showing signs of ovulation they can give me something to prevent it but they think i will not be showing any signs. I am putting my faith in them and hoping for the best. Thank you for your information on the antibiotics.
Brief Answer: DETAILED BELOW Detailed Answer: Hi again. Yes, one more way is that when they scan you, if the follicles are growing, and there are signs of one of them maturing to form a probably ovulating follicle, they can still given you downregulating medications. What they say also makes sense. If the cyst had persisted, you would have unnecessarily been subjected to medication. Good that they explained things, they have more details since they are constantly monitoring you, and hence they are the best decision - makers. Wish you lots of luck.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
People also viewed