Taking amoxicillan for itchy hands and feet. Any suggestion?

Dr. Kulbir Singh

Posted on Fri, 18 Jan 2013 in Infections
Question: I have had itchy hands and feet since starting to take amoxicillan and they seem a little red too.
Answered by Dr. Kulbir Singh 2 hours later
Hello and thanks for posting the query
It seems that you have allergy to the antibiotic (Amoxicillin) you are taking. Stop taking the drug the notice the change that if itching occur or not?
Meanwhile to get rid from the itching and redness:
1. Take anti-histamine drug like Cetirizine.
2. Apply calamine lotion or other cream to the area.
3. Do Ice fermentation of the infected area.

Please consult your treating doctor before consuming the next dose of the antibiotic. You have to find out the cause for the itching which may need reviewing your treatment. The itching and redness may be due to other allergic causes like soap or dust. Protect yourself from the allergens and keep yourself in good hygienic condition.

Hope this will help you.
Best Wishes and get well soon.
Dr. Kulbir Singh