Swelling, pain and discoloration developed below knee after injury. Should I be concerned?

Dr. Raju A.T

Posted on Wed, 12 Dec 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: 1 week ago i slid into a rock, impact left XXXXXXX 4 inches below knee. swelling has traveled down to foot and now discoloration , bruising around ankle
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 22 minutes later

Swelling and pain at any limbs seen after trauma can be a sign of fracture. Even a hairline fracture (small fractures) can sometimes ooze blood into the surrounding tissue and present with a swelling.

This swelling with blood in the tissues if not resolved, can rarely travel to dependent positions. On its later course, the colour of the swelling transforms to different shades and slowly disappear.

There is no need to worry about the swelling as it will subside on its own. Applying warm compresses will help in rapid recovery. I would not be concerned with your symptoms if a fracture is ruled out.

Therefore you have to consult the orthopedic to get an X-ray of the limb and rule out fractures. If a fracture is found then necessary management with casts may be essential.

Hope I answered your query. Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad