Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
126 Doctors are Online

Suspected to have an autoimmune disease. Blood test done. What are the findings in the report?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 15322 Questions
I recently went to a Rheumatologist because my family doctor thought I may have an autoimmune disease by testing positive on an XXXXXXX blood test and having family history of autoimmune in my family. Therefore, the Rheumatologist did a bunch of lab work on me. I received the lab results just moments ago and my blood shows abnormal (25), WBC, URINE shows abnormal 5-10 (0-5/HPF), SQUAMOUS EPI CELLS shows abnormal 10-20 (0-5/HPF), and bacteria abnormal (+1). In the comments, she says that my lupus blood test results came back negative. However, I have every symptom leaning towards Lupus. Please help me understand my blood results and what they mean by abnormal.
Sat, 9 Feb 2013 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

A white cell count of 25 on blood sample is significantly abnormal and can indicate infection or other abnormality with the immune system. Other parameters in the blood film, as well as clinical history and examination, usually give a clue as whether the elevation is due to infection or otherwise.If due to infection, it would be repeated after the illness has resolved, if it is not thought to be due to an infection, then a repeat may be suggested as well as further investigations.

In terms of the urine sample the values are only slightly above the upper limit- 1 plus bacteria (this is not significant unless you are having symptoms of a abdominal pain, frequency), squamous epithelial cells at that level represent possible contamination of the sample with skin flora when it was passed. White cells can be found in the urine, in some cases the sample can be contaminated with white cells from the vaginal.
If you are unsure about the urine sample you can consider asking your doctor whether you can repeat it.

i hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Radiologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor