Suggest ways to lose weight caused by anxiety
I've had no physical exercise and largely live a moderately active life at work as well as at home. I was also a moderately heavy smoker (about 12 - 15 cigarettes a day)
This last year (2015) has been rather crazy and hectic for me in the sense that the following have happened.
1. In the beginning of the year I started having what could only be described as palpitations and nervousness (the doctors said it was anxiety).
2. I quit smoking in January (relapsed for a few smokes mid year and then one occasional one a few weeks ago) but have kicked the habit.
3. I've been on setaline and beta blockers for the first 4 - 5 months of the year.
4. I've even developed bouts of vertigo / imbalance which would happen off and on in the beginning, then more frequent by mid year and now, for the past few weeks constant (I've been given Vertin for the same but it didn't kill the issues).
5. Im getting some ent checkups etc done for this.
6. Through the above I've successfully traveled to many cities across the year and struck deals with major clients sealing a great deal of business and revenue for my business.
7. I believe at the end of the year, I truly do feel extremely exhausted (after working endless nights and traveling hectic for a few months)
While all the above has been happening, I've gained a lot of weight. Around 10 kilos to be exact and am extremely devastated by it.
My diet is the same, activity level might actually be increased but I just seem to keep gaining weight.
And the vertigo (I don't know if it is vertigo) first started off as a bouncy feeling (felt like the floor was bouncy) and has, for the past few weeks become more of a imbalanced feeling like the floor is shaky.
The feeling is there constantly and is mild enough not to be alarming but enough to be a constant irritant.
I've been to one ent who said that my ears nose and throat look clear.
I've had vitamin tests done (b12 and D) a few months ago which all came clear.
Had an X-ray of my cervical spine done which shows a mild change in curvature and light spasms.
I've even had my lipid profiling done which seems clear.
Could you please shed some light on this.
Stress is the main cause
Hi dear, I have gone through your question and understand your concerns.
Weight gain is most likely due to stress in your case.
Stress releases steroid hormones in the body which leads to weight gain and slow metabolism.
Your hectic schedule is bound to get you stressed up, and thus weigh gain is likely even if you follow a regular diet control and exercise plan.
Vertigo or the bouncy feeling you are having can be due to some neurological problems, apart from what you have been examined and investigated for.
I will suggest you to consult a neurologist for proper examination, investigations and treatment accordingly.
Hope you found the answer helpful. Please do get back for further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr Neeraj Kumar
I do plan to take your advice and shownit to a local neurologist but do fear the results a little.
I have been told that it may involve getting an MRI of the brain done and other such things.
If i may ask...What kind of neurological problems cause this sensation of bouncy or shaky floor?
Get detailed examination by neurologist for diagnosis and investigations
The bouncy feeling may be due to some cerebellar issues or some peripheral neuropathy. Is there any speech changes, incoordination in upper limbs, tremors any sensory loss in lower limbs?Any visual involvement, hearing loss, facial deviation?
You need a detailed clinical examination for possibly aetiologies and diagnosis.
If vertigo is not relieved by medications then you may have to do regular vertigo exercises.
Do get back to me for further queries.
Dr Neeraj Kumar
I thank you for your time and will reach out with my progress .
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Anxiety or anxiety cause fast heart rate
- Suggest ways to cope up with anxiety and depression
- Diagnosed with depression suggest ways to control anger and anxiety
- Anxiety causes
- Can anxiety cause weight loss
- Anxiety losing conscious extreme fatigue suggestions
- Suggest simple way to reduce anxiety and stress
- What causes sudden weight loss with anxiety
- Over weight anxiety no energy on antidepressants any suggestions
- Anxiety prescribed alprazolam losing weight advise