Thanks for contacting Ayurveda with your health concern again and since stress is main concern in your history I shall be addressing the topic with different aspects and management.
1. avoid caffeine found in coffee,tea,chocolate,cola,and some pain relievers
PS. [four to six hours before bedtime.]
2. quiet, dark, and cool environment can help promote sound sleep.
PS. [Use heavy curtains, or an eye mask to block light, and also keeping computers, TVs, and other work materials out of the room will help promote mental bonding between your bedroom and sleep]
3. Avoid stressful, stimulating activities like doing work, discussing emotional issues.
PS. Physically and psychologically stressful activities can cause the body to secrete the stress hormone cortisol
, which is associated with increasing alertness.
4. take dinner 2-3 hours before bedtime and avoid foods that cause indigestion
. [spicy-heavy- junk food]
5. avoid afternoon napping to prevent late night awakening [ between 2-3 pm is ideal, but that too sitting on a chair while head resting on table]
6. looking at clock in your bedroom, [when you are trying to fall asleep] can actually increase stress, making it harder to fall asleep. Turn your clock’s face away from you.
7. Principle is to have well balanced diet with more of proteins and more Calories with exercise, take more of cereals,legumes,daal egg,and eat fresh fruits regularly with sweet pulp like (banana, mango, chickoos, grapes)
8. take banana, black grapes, orange, spinach, ginger, tomatoes, curd, take diet rich in vitamin C
(Citrus fruits) and vitamin E
(sunflower seeds, almonds,apricots, peanuts) which are rich in anti oxidants
9. Lemon juice mixed with sugar in a glass of water helps release stress removing hormones from the body and bring mind at peace/rest.
10. Mix 4-5 dates in half glass of water and drink 2 times daily for a month.
. eat 2 spoon coriander seeds with 2 spoons of sugar candy
. rub castor oil on palms and feet
. drink a juice of coriander leaves,water and sugar.
. before retiring to bed wash your mouth, head, back of neck, both ears and legs with cold water
. make a paste of 'bhang' with cow/goat milk and massage
. take a glass of buffalo milk at bed time [best sleep inducer].
. brahmi vati 2
sarphagandha ghan vati 2.... at bed time with milk
arishta: 20 ml
sarasvta arishta: 20 ml [after meals with equal amount of water]
. put a black dot on the distal phalynx of middle and ring fingers of both sides ( the black dot can be marked by any marker and should be exactly in the mid line of the fingers. They are to be applied at night on both sides- works in 80% cases).
Dr. Munish Sood
Consultant & Physician