• question-icon

Suggest treatment to cure the opioid dependence

Posted on Wed, 5 Feb 2014 in Mental Health
Question: I wanted to speak with an addiction specialist. I am worried about a couple of friends of mine and I need help with what I should do. Is there a way to chat?
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 31 minutes later
Brief Answer: We can correspond in this forum Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for using health care magic for posting your query. Currently the chat facility is not available at the health care magic for the specialists and its only available for the general practitioner. In case if you want to communicate, we can talk in this forum as well. However I would require a couple of more details to help you in answering your query in a better justified way. 1. What substances do they use and how long are they using it? 2. Any previous attempts to leave the substances ? Were they successful? Hope to hear from you at your earliest convenience. Regards and wish you good health, Dr. Srikanth Reddy MD Neuro-Psychiatrist Addiction Specialist and Sexologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Follow up: Dr. Srikanth Reddy 18 minutes later
They have both been on and off many things. Started with norco, then Percocet, then oxy, and now diauladid. Only one of them has a legimate need for them but he gives them to his wife too. Even if only one of them took the pills they still wouldn't make it until the end of the month. They are always asking for mine, try to buy them and sometimes my pills come up missing. I have been working really hard to get off this stuff and i want to try and help in the best way I can. I refuse to give them my meds, or help them with medicine or give them money no matter how much they beg. In 6 years I have never took more than prescribed, I was usually left with extra. Last week I cut my diauladid medication from240 pills a month to 90. I figure if I can cold XXXXXXX more than half my meds than they can too.
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 32 minutes later
Brief Answer: opioid dependence can be cured Detailed Answer: Hello yes it is possible to cure the opioid dependence. This is preferably done in an indoor care. They need to get admitted and shift to a more benign opioid like buprenorphine or methadone and then gradually stop under the cover of clonidine if required. If they are not ready to get admitted then they may atleast take some cognitive behavioural therapy which will help them in motivating to leave the substance. From your side, you should continue to restrict their extra medications. That way you will be a better friend of them. Hope I am able to answer your concerns. If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you. If not, you may close the discussion and if possible you may rate the answer for me, so that I get a good feedback. In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link: bit.ly/dr-srikanth-reddy Wish you good health, Kind regards Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D.
Dr. Srikanth Reddy

Psychiatrist