Can taking Clonidine for high BP in half cause flu-like symptoms?

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist

Posted on Tue, 22 May 2018 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I’m taking Clonidine for High BP, I was only on for 2 weeks,0.1mg (twice a day) and had every side effect. The Dr. Said to to cut back to once a day for 3 days and then go to 1 every other day. I did the 3 days and am on the 2nd of every other day. After that I became very sick(flu like symptoms ). I don’t know if I should start taking 1/2 every day and then cut back to every other day. I’m at my wits end.
Please help.
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Shortening Clonidine withdrawal period is better.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome on HCM!

I passed carefully through your concern and would explain that as you are experiencing important multiple adverse effects fro m the very beginning of Clonidine, it is advisable to stop the drug from the ongoing therapy.

It seems rational performing a gradual withdrawal of Clonidine in order to avoid rebound hypertension (which may happen with sudden discontinuation of the drug), but as you are continuing to experience persistent adverse effects during down titration of Clonidine daily dose, it is not worth prolonging withdrawal escalation any more.

Instead, I recommend discussing with your doctor for switching as soon as possible to a safer antihypertensive medication in order to stop Clonidine in a shorter perion and avoid potential rebound hypertension.

That's my professional opinion.

Hope to have been helpful to you!

In case of any further questions, feel free to ask me again.

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri