• question-icon

What causes persistent panic attacks despite taking Xanax and Escitalopram?

Posted on Fri, 11 May 2018 in Mental Health
Question: I realized today after feeling like I was losing my mind and having a nervous breakdown for several days, that I haven't been taking my Escitalopram for a while now. Then tonight my BP was 215 over107. Was hot then cold, shaky scared. Went to ER after taking a .2 clonidine and my other BP meds. BP was down to 153/77. Never did see doctor. I took the Escitalopram this afternoon about4. Should I take another one now. I also took a .25 Xanax to help calm me down. Just took another Xanax. When I lie down, I start getting panicky.
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
You need to take your escitalopram tomorrow

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for using Healthcaremagic.

I read your query and understand your concerns.

Escitalopram is not something which acts immediately. In fact in panic disorder or anxiety disorder it takes weeks to show its effect. On the other hand xanax starts working immediately and used on emergency basis.

So if panic is still going on there is need to repeat the xanax and not the escitalopram. You are supposed to take your next dose of escitalopram tomorrow as there is no additional benefit if the dose is doubled today.

I hope this helps you.
Feel free to write back to me if you have more questions.
Thanks and regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Dr. Ashok Kumar

Psychiatrist