Suggest treatment for swollen painful testicles

Posted on Mon, 15 Jun 2015 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: My husband just got hit with a baseball ball when he was playing in his testicles , right now they are swollen.. He is in a little pain.. I gave him motrin.. What welse should we do to dicrease the swollen testicles? Please advice thank you
Answered by Dr. M Y Shareef 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
This might be a simple traumatic epididymo-orchitis, curable with medicines

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXX ! Good morning. I am Dr Shareef answering your query.

Whenever playing outdoor games, one has to apply proper support to the testes as they are exposed to inadvertent trauma however minimal these might be. Due to the repeated trauma, the testes get inflammed as is the fact with any other organ or part of the body. This inflammation causes swelling and pain of the testes, which might also be tender to touch. This is known as traumatic epididymo-orchitis.

Though this is not a serious condition if not severely traumatised, one has to take proper care and with complete rest to the testes (in other words to the person concerned, who should avoid any active work or games till he is relieved of the problem), and also one should apply proper support to the testes with properly fitting under garments.

If I were his doctor, after a clinical assessment, in addition to the above, I would also prescribe him with an anti inflammatory drug along with a proton pump inhibitor drug for a symptomatic relief and to control the inflammation. One has to be watchful to see if it gets secondary bacterial infection in which case proper broad spectrum antibiotic would have to be added to the prescription apart from a urine routine/microscopic test. Starting of an antibiotic would have to be decided by the examining/treating physician, and so you should consult your famly physician or the nearest surgical opd in case the symptoms did not subside or increase in severity.

I hope this information would help you in discussing with your family physician/treating doctor in further management of your problem. Please do not hesitate to ask in case of any further doubts.

Thanks for choosing health care magic to clear doubts on your health problems. I wish you an early recovery. Dr Shareef.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Answered by
Dr. M Y Shareef

General Surgeon

Practicing since :1979

Answered : 2457 Questions


The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Medical Topics

Recent questions on  Proton pump

doctor1 MD

What is h-pyloric? I think that's what the doctor mentioned as a possibility about my stomach and intestinal problems.

doctor1 MD

Hi doctor, I am 36 years of age with 71 kg as weight and 5 ft 8 inch height. since last 1 year at times I feel burning sensation around heart area...

doctor1 MD

hi, I have had a constant and increasing pain behind my left breast for almost 2 weeks now. I don't know if it is related, but I have also had 2...

doctor1 MD

Dear Doctor,

Recently, 3 different nights, I have been awakened with discomfort in my rib cage, like a balloon being blown up inside me. I can't...

doctor1 MD


I'm on my 2nd day of having chest pains in the middle of my chest. Almost a burning sensation but it can hurt with sharp movement or rolling...

doctor1 MD

my brother 25 years old was diagnosed with a mild case of OCD and was given lustral as the primary treatment, a month later he started complaining...

doctor1 MD

Dear Sir,
I have so much gastric problems with headeque & bloating & constipation for last 5-6 years, Doctor has adviced me to take adiza tablet...

Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties

187 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM Blog Questions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction