• question-icon

Suggest treatment for swelling in the submandibular gland

Posted on Mon, 17 Jul 2017 in Dental Health
Question: Hello,

I've had a submandular gland swollen for 3 years now. I've had CT scans a fine needle biopsy and an MRI. How can I find out the reason to why this is swollen...
Answered by Dr. Honey Arora 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please provide more details..

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Thanks for the query..

First of all please make it clear that it is submandibular salivary gland or lymph node?
As the diagnosis will vary with the structure/organ involved.
Also for narrowing down the exact cause I would like to know a few more details.
Also please upload your investigation reports for better understanding of the problem.
Please answer the following questions:
1. Is there pain associated with swelling?
2.Is the swelling stable or it increases and decreases in size?
3. Does the swelling suddenly grow when you take food?
4.Is the swelling in the form of round movable lump or is it hard and fixed?
5.Is the skin in that area inflamed or normal?
6.Do you have any decayed teeth or chronic gum infection or any other infection in skull area like in ears, sinuses etc?

Please revert back with answers..

Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Honey Arora 21 hours later
1. sometimes there is pain but very little.
2. the swelling is quite stable, I think, but I know it went down a lot when I had a tonsillectomy right after, when given antibiotics in the OR.
3. I think it does grow a bit after food..
5. It is a lymph node, that is moveable, and I have had it CT scanned, to show a 2cm lymph node. I have had problems with chronic throat pain, that has dulled, but has been told by ENT's allergies, and LPR.
6. Skin is not inflamed at all. You can't see this by looking at my neck.
7. I have two root canals on that side, one where the crown came off, so I just had that tooth pulled.

What I want to know is how a dentist finds out if there is a chronic low grade infection in the teeth area, and if they do figure this out, is the antibiotic that they give different than for instance strep throat.
Answered by Dr. Honey Arora 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Looks like chronic infection only..

Detailed Answer:
Hi..
As it movable lymph node therefore it is probably due to Infection and nothing serious..
Yes chronic infection can be a cause..
A Dentist can rule it out with a clinical examination to check for any chronically infected teeth..
Also a complete blood count can be done for confirmation..
For infection a course of antibiotics can be advised..
Also do alternate warm and cool packs over the swelling..
Take proper treatment for allergies and LPR..

Hope this helps..

Regards..
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Honey Arora 20 hours later
How can a dentist tell for chronically infected teeth?
I seem to get nowhere with any of this, and it is really upsetting me. I have tried treatments for LPR and allergies I don't even know where to begin.

My main question is, is there a sure way to tell if this is an infection, and are the antibiotics different from a normal antibiotic for teeth?
Answered by Dr. Honey Arora 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes, with a clinical examination.

Detailed Answer:
Hi..
Yes, the dentist can tell you by doing a clinical examination and x ray that you have chronically infected teeth or not..
Also a blood test can also be helpful..
As far as antibiotics are concerned the common Penicillin group and others like Cephalosporins, Clindamycin, Metronidazole are commonly given in case of tooth/teeth infection..

Hope this helps...

Regards..
Dr. Honey Arora

Dentist