Suggest treatment for swelling and pain caused by a spider bite

Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain

Posted on Tue, 27 Oct 2015 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: My dad was bit by a spider. He was seen by a NP at the little clinic on Sunday. He is taking Bactrim 800 mg. However, the swelling is worse and the bites are starting to ooze green puss. He is not running a fever. Is this cause for concern
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
See Dr, add pain killer and anti inflammatory drug, send pus for culture, a

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for the query,

If it swelling and getting worse, I honestly think the treatment plan deserves to be reevaluated and probably amended.

Swelling and pain might mean aggravated inflammation. Prescribing an anti inflammatory drug and pain killer to reduce the pain might be most appropriate in this case. Acetaminophen and Ibuprofen could be good starting points.

It might be interesting to collect the pus ans send for a culture and antibiotic sensitivity test. Identifying the causative germ and the antibiotic to which this germ is sensitive to is of utmost importance. It might necessary to take a different antibiotic with a larger spectrum too like a third generation cephalosporin (Ceftriazone), while awaiting laboratory results.

Green pus most of the time means Pseudomonas auroginosa infection, a bacterium . Your doctor could also start with oral Ciprofloxacine while awaiting lab results. I think seeing a doctor is important.

Thanks and kind regards as I wish you the best of health.

Dr Bain
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T