Suggest treatment for sunburn and swelling of face
Strict sun protection; cold compression
Welcome and thanks for posting your query to the forum.
I can understand your concern for sunburn and swelling of face resulting form same.
It is quite common in fair skin people to get sunburns easily. After analyzing the picture I can make out that your skin is deeply red at certain places with swelling especially around eyes.
To take care of the problem kindly follow the suggestions below:
1. The most important measure is to stay away from direct sun light by any means. Do not expose yourself to sort of sunlight which is direct or indirect. Even if direct sun is not present then also you should give ample sun protection. Do not pinch, pop or squeeze or even touch any of the affected areas. I suggest you to even not to touch the area unnecessarily.
2. Do not apply any creamy or oily stuff with fragrance in it directly at or near the affected areas.
3. Try to avoid any home remedies suggested by your friends or family members or otherwise self implicated therapies also.
4. Try avoiding situations of heat, sweating and humidity for long hours. Do not take hot showers and avoid heavy exercise and gym for few days.
5. Do compressions with cold water for 3-4 times a day . Do compresses by taking a towel dipped in cold water for 5 minutes each time. It will not only soothe skin but also will reduce the swelling.
For the part of treatment in my patients with your kind of problem I suggest following measure:
1. I suggest my patients to apply "Fluticasone" cream over entire face in a very thin layer for two times (morning and night) under medical guidance. Apply it in such a thin layer that it should not be visible by naked eye. Do not rub it. Do not use beyond 7 days without dermatological advice. If Fluticasone is not available then alternatively hydrocortisone or mometasone cream can be used.
2. For reducing the itching or any irritation I suggest to take tablet "desloaratadine" (Claritin) by mouth under medical guidance for one time if is less or for two to three time if the irritation is more.
Your swelling may persist for 24-48 hours. If it persist for more than 48 hours then you may require oral steroid tablets under medical guidance. But in my observation if you do strict sun protection for few days then it will be completely alright in 5 days.
After healing these red spots may become bit darker or may cause peeling of skin so do not be worried about the same. It is usual response after sunburn to get mild to moderate peeling of skin.
Hope these informations will help you.
If you have any further query I will be glad to help.
Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia
MD- Dermatology & Sexually transmitted diseases
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Over the counter sunburn treatments
- Sunburn treatment lotions
- Blisters on the nose swelling sunburn taken advil treatment
- Suggest treatment or medication for dark sunburn on face
- Please suggest treatment for sunburn
- Suggest treatment for face swelling following dental treatment
- Severe sunburn treatment
- Suggest treatment for food poisioning along with sunburn
- Treatment and cure for avoid sunburns
- Treatment for sunburn swelling fluid on the forehead