• question-icon

Suggest treatment for strep throat

Posted on Thu, 14 Jul 2016 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Wow I can't believe it. Please respond - I have just subscribed and I need to know if I should be concerned as I think that I have scarlet fever taking into account all the facts being the following:facts beingI have been running a fever since Tuesday, 14 XXXXXXX 2016 and with a sore throat and glands. I went to see a Dr at one of the preferred provider hospitals who did not examine me carefully. I am a foreign Teacher at a Training Centre.The Dr asked me to open my mouth and then listened to my breathing and said I have asthma which I don't have. He prescribed Cefzon and tylenol and a cough syrup and told me to rest so I was on sickleave that Wednesday, 15 XXXXXXX . Friday I went back to the same Dr and asked him to prescribe penicillin or Amoxillin as I don't feel better. I had my utensils taken out as a child and they had grown back and I thought I had strep throat. He said don't worry so much - let's take an x ray and blood test and to continue the same antibiotic and prescribed more tablets for the cough. Well I finished the antibiotics and stayed at home for the3 days as he told me to rest. I went back to teaching on Monday and yesterday being Wednesday I noticed that I have developed a rash around my neck which seems to be spreading. I have had some fruit on Tuesday which looks a lot like a round berry and very delicious but much bigger than most berries about the size of a lychee but now I am concerned that I may have scarlet fever as I am still perspiring a lot and still have a bit of a sore throat. How serious is scarlet fever and could I get better without anymore antibiotics and how contagious? My skin around my neck was hurting already on Monday but I did not at the time think that I had a rash. Now it is very prominent. Please advise what to do.
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
About strep throat.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome,

Strep throat is a serious problem if not treated adequately because it can lead to rheumatic heart disease.

It may be possible that your antibiotic covers for streptococcus, but I am not familiar with Cefzon. Can you please look at your antibiotic again and write the generic name for it?

The other possibility for the rash is an allergy to the antibiotic.

Strep throat is easily diagnosed with a throat swab which is then cultured. Has this been done? Did they do a rapid strep test?

Thanks - more information after I hear back from you.
Follow up: Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 11 hours later
Thanks so much for your reply Doc. I am planning to see a Physician at an International Hospital tomorrow and ask them to do a swab and also a CT of my lungs. I got some ointment for the rash so we will hopefully know soon and I would let you know - many thanks.
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
Some information:

Detailed Answer:
Your welcome. I doubt that they will be willing to do a CT of the lungs, but if you have a cough and fever, they will likely do a chest Xray. But the rest of the plan sounds good. If the rash is itchy, then try an oral antihistamine such a Zyrtec, which you can buy without prescription at a drug store.

Good luck to you!
Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh