Suggest treatment for severe weight gain while on Betnesol

Dr. Mirjeta Guni

Endocrinologist

Posted on Mon, 27 Mar 2017 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: Dear Dr,
I would like to know if there are any screening tests to determine weight gain; I gained a lot of weight 3 years back when I was on betnesol and stopped the medication abruptly after knowing steroid was the reason, (I took betnesol for my bronchitis allergy). I tried gymming and it did help me in losing some weight initially but due to my hectic work schedule I have always ended up gaining the lost weight after stopping the gym. I have tried getting back to exercise but after a few months, I lose the interest and again get back to the same old position. I did thyroid profile test 2 years back and the levels were normal, now I again want to join the gym and before doing so; would like to know any tests which I should go through to know if there is any hormonal issue which is causing or leading to weight gain. Your response would be highly helpful to me.
Answered by Dr. Mirjeta Guni 56 minutes later
Brief Answer:
About weight gain:

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for asking!
I do understand your concern.
The most common cause of difficulty in loosing weight is a slow inherited metabolism. There are people who have to suffer more than others to loose weight.
Anyway, in rare cases are hormonal disturbances such as a low thyroid, that you have excluded.
So, you need to check:
-Cortisol level at 24 hour collected urine.
-testosterone level.
Will be a pleasure to review and suggest further.
Kind regards,
Dr.Mirjeta

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Mirjeta Guni 29 hours later
Thanks for the reply Dr Mirjeta, I'll surely do the mentioned tests and share the reports with you. I have also heard that the Insulin resistance can lead to weight gain. My weight in the year 2012 was 88Kgs and the recent weight which I checked was 130 Kgs, Most of the weight is around the belly and thigh areas. Are there any obesity-specific screening tests done in the hospital which I can opt to get a clear idea of all the possibilities? I'm very concerned about my health now and have been struggling since past 2 years to lose it.
Answered by Dr. Mirjeta Guni 16 hours later
Brief Answer:
About obesity casues:

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back!
Weight gain can lead to insulin resistance, not the opposite.
If you have family members who are obese, than it is a genetic predisposition.
So you have a low metabolism that is inherited and you have noticed that with physical activity you can loose weight.
In these cases no test is suggested to try to find a cause of the obesity.
There are some syndromes (prader willi,Bardet Bidle ect) caused by genetic disorder due to loss of function of specific genes. Usually are diagnosed during childhood not at your age.
So from your description, i would recommend only the above mentioned test and restart physical activity.
Kind regards,
Dr.Mirjeta
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy