Suggest treatment for severe stomach cramps after taking Codeine

Posted on Thu, 18 Jun 2015 in Abdominal Pain
Question: I have severe stomach cramps due to suspected diverticulitis, I think I need my bowels may be abnormal due to me taking codeine, can i take ducolax?
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
NO- no dulcolax at all.

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Read and understood your history and query.

To recapitulate:Female/28 - have severe stomach cramps due to suspected ''diverticulitis'' - given tramadol - alread taking Naprosyn, Panadeine forte and diazepam - you are thinking that the bowel may be abnormal due to taking codeine - wants to know whether can take dulcolax
...

First of all, in case of any ''acute abdomen'', Dulcolax is contraindicated (should not be taken strictly). This is so because it acts on intestine by irritation and increase motility of the intestines and can cause perforation of any inflamed portion of the intestine like appendicitis, diverticulitis.

Secondly, you should avoid Naprosyn too. This is Naproxen which comes under the category of NSAID, ‘Non Steroidal Anti Inflammatory Drug’ and should be avoided in suspected intestinal pathology, and you have pain in abdomen.

Thirdly, CT scan is the best investigations as well as colonoscopy to have the best possible diagnosis, please get this done at an appropriate time.
Panadeine Forte (codeine-acetaminophen) can cause constipation.

Get a proper clinical evaluation preferably under the care of a General Surgeon and further tests and investigations to get a proper diagnosis and treatment.

I hope this answers your query and I have tried to give further information without your asking as I though it to be very necessary. Please feel free to ask further relevant queries if you need to or if you feel that there is a gap of communication.

Follow up: Dr. T Chandrakant 4 minutes later
Thank you for your help.

The naprosyn and panadeine forte has been given to me for back pain, I have degeneration present in 3 discs at the moment. Would you suggest to speak to my GP about changing these medications due to the stomach problems I'm incurring?

I appreciate your help
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes please, talk to the GP and get early proper diagnosis too

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your appreciation.
I can understand that these medicines are given for the back-pain or such conditions.
You may first request for early proper diagnosis of pain in abdomen as well as try to take these medicine to the minimum most or the best way is to tell your GP about possibly giving safer medicines.

Degeneration alone of the discs should not cause so much pain, there may be additional problems.

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon