Does abdominal pain require ER consultation despite taking Zantac?

Dr. Deepak Patel

Pediatrician

Posted on Thu, 26 Apr 2018 in Child Health
Question: Hello

My 6 year old son has been complaining of abdominal pain, now it has been 28 hours - he vommitted last night and this morning but since he has been able to keep his food down. Tonight he is complaining of severe pain that comes and goes around his naval. It is not towarda hos right side at all today nor yesterday. He said the pain went from a 6-7 out of 10 this morning to a 2 out of 10 today after a Zantac but now at night he is writhing in his sleep from pain, seems quite severe from his reaction and seems to last 10-20 seconds intermittently. No fever, no diarrhea, just this intermittent pain. Please advise asap as we are trying to determine urgency. We spoke to the nurse and doc earlier today who suggested the Zantac and monitoring but not ER visit. Can you advise
Answered by Dr. Deepak Patel 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Probably stomach infection

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to HCM. Can understand your concern.

Symptoms of pain abdomen and vomiting suggest that your child has probably got stomach infection.

If I was your treating doctor, i would have given antibiotic like oflomac-m syrup 5 ml three times a day for 3 days, Syrup cyclopam 5 ml three times a day for 2 days for pain abdomen.

An examination by doctor should be done so that we may not miss any important finding.

I hope this will help you.
Wishing your child good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Deepak Patel 4 minutes later
Does it sound like an emergency based on symptoms? It comes and goes and remained in the middle so i ruled out appendictis. I gave him some vendium (in tamil) seeds, turmeric and honey just now - hope that calms his stomach. Does it sound like we can wait until the am to take him in or is it worth an ER visit in the middle of the night?
Answered by Dr. Deepak Patel 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
If pain is not severe than you can wait

Detailed Answer:

Pain abdomen in appendicitis is very severe and intolerable. It does not come intermittently.

If pain is not severe, you can wait. But, if pain persist even after giving cyclopam syrup then an examination by doctor should be done as soon as possible.

Thanks - the pain seems severe when it occurs. For example he is now fast asleep and may wake up in 2 hours with it again - he goes a few hours without any pain and then when it comes on it is painful for a few seconds at a time, almost colicky. Any suggestions on diagnosis? We will take him to the pediatrician tomorrow - he may be getting a sligbt fever as he seems to be running warm at night now.
Answered by Dr. Deepak Patel 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Symptoms are more suggestive of stomach infection

Detailed Answer:

Symptoms are more suggestive of stomach infection than appendicitis. I suggest you to start the medicines as advised.

Crocin Syrup can be given for fever.

Follow up: Dr. Deepak Patel 30 hours later
Hi

Here is a quick update: my son seems better, the doctor checked him out and felt it is a stomach infection. However last night he slept well until 5:30 am and again woke up with sharp pain around belly button. We have given him tylenol to manage pain. Isnt it odd that the pain is sharp and also intense after 48 hours - is there anything else we should be considering here? Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Deepak Patel 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It takes some time to completely get cured

Detailed Answer:
hi, welcome once again.

Stomach infection sometimes takes 3 to 4 days to completely settle. Pain abdomen can occur occasionally for three to 4 days.

I suggest you to wait for one more day. If pain abdomen purchased beyond that then and ultrasound abdomen needs to be done.

I hope this helps. Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj