Suggest treatment for severe sore throat and cough
if it's just the throat then you can wait a little longer
having sore throat for more than 5 days is not common particularly if it's severe. Usually the intense symptoms last for a few days and then they start to wear off. There are cases with longer duration though. It depends on the cause and some unpredictable factors. For example infectious mononucleosis may last for more days even weeks or months. If it lasts for more than one week then a repeat visit to your doctor for testing might be appropriate.
Antibiotics do not help if bacterial infection is not suspected. Findings favoring bacterial etiology include the following:
- swollen and painful lymph nodes in the neck
- fever (more than 38 degrees of Celsius)
- lack of "viral" symptoms like runny nose or cough
Other things to consider include the following:
- no exudate is usually against bacterial infection
- uneven swelling in the throat may mean the formation of an abscess
- most throat infections get better by themselves (even the bacterial ones) but there are some they may get worse or become complicated (local spread of the infection mostly). If your symptoms are worse, you should see the doctor again.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Severe sore throat causes
- Severe sore throat without fever
- Severe sore throat pink eye cough
- Suggest medication for severe sore throat
- Severe sore throat clavam
- Symptoms of severe sore throat
- Sudden severe sore throat
- Treatment and cure for severe sore throat
- Diagnosis of severe sore throat
- What is the treatment for severe sore throat after sinusitis
- Suggest treatment for splenic cyst
- What causes dry throat?
- What causes itching in breast?
- What causes chest pain and heart burn?
- Suggest treatment for pain in heels
- Can i take Paxil along with Clonidine?
- Suggest ways to manage diabetes
- Does taking Plaquinel for lupus affect the memory?
- What does an enlarged lymph node on neck indicate?
- Is infection possible by touching a dead bird despite using a disinfectant?