Suggest treatment for severe sore throat and cough

Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis

Posted on Fri, 7 Apr 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Hello. Today is the 5th day that I have this symptoms like, sore throat and cough and red eye and today all other symptoms has get better except sore throat and pain in the ear. It seems like it doesnt want to get away this sore throat. I have been visited to a dr and she told me that the throat was clear and also it was viral. Is it normal to last so much? Because of being affraid of using antibiotics, because I have had previous experienxe of allergic reaction, I continue taking paracetamol and treating with tea ect. What do you suggest me ? Is it normal to last 5-6 days? Or you think I should see another doctor? Thank you!
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
if it's just the throat then you can wait a little longer

Detailed Answer:

having sore throat for more than 5 days is not common particularly if it's severe. Usually the intense symptoms last for a few days and then they start to wear off. There are cases with longer duration though. It depends on the cause and some unpredictable factors. For example infectious mononucleosis may last for more days even weeks or months. If it lasts for more than one week then a repeat visit to your doctor for testing might be appropriate.

Antibiotics do not help if bacterial infection is not suspected. Findings favoring bacterial etiology include the following:
- swollen and painful lymph nodes in the neck
- fever (more than 38 degrees of Celsius)
- lack of "viral" symptoms like runny nose or cough

Other things to consider include the following:
- no exudate is usually against bacterial infection
- uneven swelling in the throat may mean the formation of an abscess
- most throat infections get better by themselves (even the bacterial ones) but there are some they may get worse or become complicated (local spread of the infection mostly). If your symptoms are worse, you should see the doctor again.

Kind Regards!