Suggest treatment for severe pain in the buttocks and back pain

Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin

Posted on Mon, 29 Aug 2016 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Each morning when I get up up I have a severe pain in my left butt check that travels down to my left calf. I can walk it off in a couple of hours. Is it the mattress or back pain related
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
It needs to be evaluated by Xray lumbar spine and MRI if needed

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Welcome to health care magic! Thanks for sharing your concerns with us. We will try to help you in best way possible. First of all, it is sad to know what you had gone through.

Based on the history you have shared, it can be due to sciatica. The pain traveling through buttocks all the way down to posterior leg is very indicative of it. It needs to be evaluated by Xray lumbar spine to assess for any lower back vertebra collapse or soft tissue extension pressing upon the sciatic nerve.

If Xray isn't suggestive a MRI lumber spine and a neurosurgeons review nay be needed. Meanwhile taking OTC analgesics like acetaminophen or ibuprofen may help with the symptoms.

Once the cause or level of compression is noted then a detailed plan including analgesics, rest, lumbar support belts, physiotherapy or surgical options will be made based on neurosurgeon evaluation.

Wishing you a speedy recovery. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask. Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad