Suggest Treatment For Severe Neck And Jaw Pain Along With Eagle's Syndrome
I hope you can help me. Reverse curve in my neck. Horrible neck and jaw pain left side. My c1/c2 out of whack. Neck traction works the best along with trigger point therapy and trigger point injections. Orthodontic braces changed my bite and made the situation worse. When my neck is out the chiropractor adjusts it back in and relieves much of the pain. But not all. The pain is myofacial in origin and not nerve. Chiropractor and oral surgeon diagnosed me with eagle's syndrome on the left side which is the only side I have pain. Chewing on my right side makes the pain better. On my left side worse. Warm weather there is little or no pain. Below 38 degrees F I am in agony. I also have bad sleep apnea. 3 questions:
1) How can i tell if the myosfascial pain I have been suffering is from my reverse neck curve or Eagle's syndrome.
2) Who is the best Eagle's syndrome doctor in the New York Metro area?
3) How successful is the surgery for Eagle's syndrome?
Eagle's syndrome patients present with painful swallowing and earache...
Thanks for posting the query
1. Myofascial pain is due to the presence of sensitive areas in the tight muscle fibers called trigger points, which can form in the muscles after injuries, inflmmation and overuse. This can also happen when the muscles go in form spasm due to faulty nature of the joints surrounding it and any inflammation in the neuro-muscular junction. Apart from the spine related issues, temporo-mandibular joint dysfunction can also cause myofasical dysfunction.
Whereas Eagle's syndrome patients present with recurrent throat pain, foreign body sensation, dysphagia, and/or facial pain as a direct result of an elongated styloid process or calcified stylohyoid ligament. Diagnosis can be confirmed radiographically and by physical examination. On bimanual palpation in the tonsillar fossa by the clinician, the styloid process can be felt. Palpation of the tip of the styloid will exacerbate existing symptoms.
2. You can contact Dr. XXXXXXX in XXXX City, New XXXX
990 XXXXXXX Ave
Garden City, NY XXXXX
Phone: (XXX) XXX-XXXX
Fax: (XXX) XXX-XXXX
3. If the diagnosis is accurate, then 60-70% of the patients find relief with surgery.
Hope I have answered your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.
Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon