Suggest treatment for severe muscle cramps and neck spasms

Posted on Thu, 1 Dec 2016 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I am a 70 year old woman with a significant family history of heart attack and stroke. I have taken rx for low thyroid for many years. I usually have normal blood pressure. I stopped using ERT patches 6 mos ago.
I am currently experiencing severe muscle cramps and spasms in my neck, back, arms, feet and legs that are continuous. This has been happening for a few weeks. The severity comes and goes, but they are persistent.
I have read that pain in the back in particular can be a symptom of heart attack in women. I am unsure whether my symptoms are worthy of a visit to my primary care doctor.
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would explain as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!

I carefully passed through your question and would explain that your symptoms do not seem to be related to any cardiac disorders. They do not indicate any possible heart attack.

So relax and don't worry about it!

Anyway, I would recommend consulting with your attending physician for a careful physical exam and some tests to investigate for the possible causes:

- a chest X ray study
- a cervico-thoracic X ray for possible osteoporosis
- blood electrolytes including calcium plasma levels for possible imbalance
- vitamin D plasma levels for possible deficiency
- muscular enzymes (CPK)
- kidney and liver function tests
- inflammation tests (PCR, sedimentation rate) for a possible inflammatory disorder.

You should discuss with your doctor on the above issues!

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri
Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist