What causes diarrhea after taking cream of tartar?

Dr. Klarida Papaqako

Posted on Tue, 24 Apr 2018 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I've taken small dabs of cream of tartar to stop muscle cramps...I now have diarrhea ?
Answered by Dr. Klarida Papaqako 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Cream of tartar gives diarrhea. Stopping it will stop diarrhea.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for using Healthcaremagic to post your health query.
I read carefully your question and I understand your concern.

The side effects of cream of tartar include diarrhea.
Once you stop taking it though, the diarrhea should stop.
Drink plenty of fluids today and take some oral rehydration salts if possible.

Also, avoid milk, as it makes the diarrhea worse.
Do not take Imodium, because it will cause bad constipation.
I would not recommend taking more then necessary of the cream of tartar, because it causes Hyperkalemia. If you need to use it, then keep a good control of your electrolytes by doing the tests.

If worse or not better, I would recommend seeing a local doctor. If it lasts more than 24 hours after you have stopped the tartar, that means that other causes need to be considered.

Hope this is helpful.
Let me know if you need more clarifications.

Dr. Papaqako

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Klarida Papaqako 33 minutes later
What suggestions do you have for muscle cramps ?
Answered by Dr. Klarida Papaqako 19 hours later
Brief Answer:
Take a multivitamin.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for the follow up question.

The treatment of the muscle cramps depends on the cause.
Generally it is the lack of Magnesium or Potassium. So that is why I would recommend to take a vitamin multivitamin supplement which has also Potassium and Magnesium. Also have a healthy diet with lots of fruits and vegetables, especially bananas, spinach, ect.

If they still continue, or if you are already doing this, then you need to see a local doctor to examine you and do necessary tests.

Let me know if you have other questions or concerns.

Dr. Papaqako

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana