Can Rosuvastatin and Losartan cause frequent loose bowel movements?

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist

Posted on Tue, 8 May 2018 in Cholesterol
Question: Hello, Doctor, For the past couple of months, I have had loose bowel movements, sometimes twice a day. Sometimes it's come on quickly, and I'm glad I'm at home! I wonder if it has anything to do with medications. I take 10 mg Rosuvastatin for cholesterol and 100 mg Losartan Potassium for blood pressure. I'm a 76 year old woman and quite active. Thank you. Mariette
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would recommend as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello Mariette,

Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!

I passed carefully through your question and would explain that your symptoms could be related to Losartan adverse effects.

For this reason, I would recommend reducing the dose of Losartan or switch to another anti-hypertensive drug, which does not have this adverse effect.

In this regard, Hydrochlorothiazide would be a good treatment option, as it leads to constipation. A possible combination of Hydrochlorothiazide 25mg daily and Losartan 50mg daily could help improve your situation.

You should discuss with your doctor on the above issues.

If your complaints persist despite these changes in your therapy, I would recommend performing a stool bacterial culture and blood electrolyte levels.

Hope you will find this answer helpful!

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri

Follow up: Dr. Ilir Sharka 13 minutes later
Thank you, Dr Sharka.
I will follow up your suggestions with my physician. I appreciate your help.
Mariette
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You are welcome!

Detailed Answer:
Dear Mariette,

I am glad to have been helpful to you!

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask me again at any time!

You can ask me directly if you wish!

Wishing good health,

Dr. Iliri
Follow up: Dr. Ilir Sharka 44 hours later
Hello again, Dr. Sharka. I have another question regarding side effects of medications. In addition to the Losartan Potassium 100 mg daily, I've been prescribed a 10 mg Rosuvastatin Calcium for cholesterol and have been battling aches and pains in my legs and occasionally my neck for about three years. Through my regular physician, we have tried other cholesterol medications, but it seems they always end up causing me annoying pains. Do you have any suggestions? Thank you. Mariette Bell, YYYY@YYYY
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
My opinion as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Dear Mariette,

I should explain that statins have this adverse effect (muscle cramps) as a known adverse effect.

That is why, it is recommendable checking periodically muscular and liver enzymes (CPK, LDH, ALT, AST).

In case of elevated enzyme levels it is necessary to temporary stop taking Rosuvastatin for a period of a month and then start again at low doses and increase slowly.

All the other drugs have this adverse effect. But, you can try Atorvastatin or Zetia, in case you do not tolerate Rosuvastatin.

I would also like to know your blood lipid profile, in order to determine if you really need to take Rosuvastatin.

Some natural ways to lower cholesterol levels would be:

- a diet poor in saturated fatty acids and rich in omega 3 fatty acids (walnuts, fish, fish oil, olive oil, etc.).
- performing regularly physical activity (aerobics, Yoga, walking, etc.)
- try to lose some weight if you are overweight.

Hope you will find this answer helpful!

Best wishes,

Dr. Iliri