Suggest treatment for severe lower back pain

Dr. Kathy Robinson

Posted on Thu, 3 Nov 2016 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: A week ago I developed what appeared to be Lower back pain. It was painful and I could not find any position sitting or laying down that would ease the pain. The muscles in my but felt like they were black & blue. The next day I had an intense headache. It felt as though there was a lot of internal pressure. Neither Alleve nor Advil alleviated the pain. The symptoms slacked off significantly after 3 days, but now the symptoms are worse. My neck and back ache and my knees to.

I'm a 69 year old male who normally jogs and excersizes daily.
Answered by Dr. Kathy Robinson 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
you may need some imaging

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for your question.
The doctor you saw must have felt that the problem was musculoskeletal. the Diclofenac is just another anti-inflammatory like motrin or aleve.
If that did not help at all then it may be something more serious.
Whenever someone has headache along with spinal (neck or back) pain then we are always concerned about a problem in the brain or spinal cord. You may need an MRI of the brain or spine. Pain radiating out of the back into the buttocks can have something to do with a disc problem in the spine but this would not cause headache.
If you develop fever or stiff neck you should go to emergency right away.
Otherwise see your regular doctor or a spinal specialist as soon as possile
Dr. Robinson