Suggest treatment for severe depression in a stroke patient

Dr. Rishu Saxena

Cardiologist

Posted on Wed, 15 Mar 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: hello i'm a stroke patient i truly have no energy to do anything but lie in bed not get dressed most ofte day no appatite the stroke i had in 2003,2008,2013 and a heart attack ,i feel so depressed my quality of life is soover.
Answered by Dr. Rishu Saxena 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Details below

Detailed Answer:
Hi
I am sorry for your problem!
You should consult a pyschiatrist for antidepressant.Long term illness and problems decrease the level of serotonin in brain(hormone responsible for feeling of happiness).
Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors along with tricyclic antidepressants would be started for few month.You will feel much better as the level of hormone will again be restored in your brain.
For stroke you should start with physiotherapy.Try to do things slowly and increase your capacity gradually.Don't panic don't be uspet from yourself, just give it a try.Try to do things gradually and slowly.
Consult a good pyschiatrist in person initially.Start with the medicines.They will take 2-3 months atleast but you will feel much better.
For appetite start taking a probiotic and enzymes like papain etc.This will help to restore the lost appetite.

Thanks!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana