Suggest treatment for severe constipation

Posted on Wed, 8 Oct 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I have severe constipation and am wondering how can I go naturally again. I already had an endoscopy this year and a colonoscopy a couple of years ago. It was ok. For a couple of years, I have been going naturally by taking vitamin C. it was doing a fantastic job.

About two weeks ago, I stayed up all night and drank bitter coffee. I skipped dinner that evening. Then I was constipated for a couple of days afterward. When the stool passed after constant straining, it was hard and knotty, very dry. I then took Fleet enema and it came out. The next day I had a movement and it came out naturally.

The dumb thing I did was to eat french fries and chips right afterward. After that, the constipation became severe. I have to use Fleet enema or drink a ton of prune juice (even now the prune juice is not working) to have a bowel movement.

I also have bad hemorrhoids. It feels very tight down there and I feel like my body is very dry, even when I drink a lot of water. I can feel the stool drying up inside, making it difficult to pass. I get gas, but that's about it.

Is there any way I can fix this naturally and quickly? I have been constipated for two weeks and I find it hard to eat because it makes me very full. I eat vegetables, fruits, drink water, vitamin c, nothing naturally works. I don't want to be dependent on laxatives.

I have a history of constipation most of my life.
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
constipation treatment

Detailed Answer:
Hydration is the only thing proven for control of constipation apart from the use of constipation. Now that it has led to hemorrhoids, I would highly suggest you start using laxatives or bulk. Psyllium( Isabgol) or methylcellulose is being used for chronic constipation and are the first line choices. Besides that you need to use English washroom, don't strain alot on stools and do sitz bath for your hemorrhoids. I know you may be looking for some natural treatment, however it can never be as effective as bulk or laxatives. Methyl cellulose is a very safe option for long term use of laxatives. Thank you.
Dr. Khan
Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan