Suggest treatment for severe constipation and IBS

Dr. Uday Nath Sahoo

Posted on Wed, 8 Mar 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Sir
I had constupation. I usually dont have this prob. This prob starded 4 days back only. O had stool softner. It made me soft and 2 days back my stoolnwas big in diameter and short. Ystd i had a long stool and rough 1 to 1.5 in diameter. Today i have fully watery stool from morning. Can cancer in colon cause this kind of variation. I am always hve fearbtowards cancer.
Answered by Dr. Uday Nath Sahoo 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
IBS

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your question.
I do understand your pain and discomfort.
As per your history is concerned your clinical sign relates with Irritable bowel syndrome,so follow:-
1)Try to avoid high gas foods
2)Avoid gluten in diet this will reduce diarrhea
3)Avoid FODMAP
4)Take fruits and vegetables in diet and add a fiber supplement which is available without any prescription in markets.Take 35 gm fiber every day.
5) If constipation is severe add stool softener with liquid paraffin at bed time.
6)During loose motion period for all IBS patients first choice of antibiotics is RIFAXIMIN which is a prescription medication taken along with probiotic lactobacillus caps .
7)Do regular exercise and drink plenty of water and do breathing exercises
As per your question the term cancer is a symptom less disorder with weight loss gradually with loss of appetite.
I hope I was able to address your query. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to write to me.
Wishing you all the best.
Thanks
Dr U N Sahoo
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Uday Nath Sahoo 19 minutes later
Sir
Can ibs b there withour reg pain .
Answered by Dr. Uday Nath Sahoo 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
IBS

Detailed Answer:
Yes it can associated with alternate bowel motion like one phase constipation and other phase loose motions, Gas, sometimes pain and sometimes no pain at all, sometimes anal fissure, sometimes low hemoglobin, and nausea etc. Not a serious disorder.

Thanks
Dr U N Sahoo
Follow up: Dr. Uday Nath Sahoo 19 hours later
Sir
I took prunes along with the antibiotic not in empty stomac by 12 am. By 1.30 i had my lunch. By 2 i had full loose motion. What may be the reason. I had 4 pcs of prunes. Ystd inhad loose motion and had reg food yst night and by having water in the lorning inwent stool by three times and my fear now is as i have loose motion and costupation is it a symprom of colon cancer .
Answered by Dr. Uday Nath Sahoo 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
IBS

Detailed Answer:
As per your problem please talk with your doctor to prescribe two medications given, add to your antibiotics plus probiotics

1)METRONIDAZOLE [secondaary infection]
2)DICYCLOVERINE-[antispasmodic to control motion]

Your loose motion is due to intestinal spasm which happens in[ IBS] case due to secondary infections.
To clarify your doubts regarding cancer in mind do following investigations-:
1)Do a flexible Sigmoidoscopy
2)Do a Colonoscopy
3)Do Stool examination-RE/ME/CULTURE
Thanks,