Suggest treatment for severe cold in a diabetic

Dr. Mirjeta Guni

Endocrinologist

Posted on Thu, 2 Mar 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I have a severe cold.. what cold meds are safe for type 2 diabetics
Answered by Dr. Mirjeta Guni 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
About high glucose level in illnesses:

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for asking on HealthcareMagic !

Every illness is considered ''stress'' for our organism, and it reacts by increasing some hormones that raise at the same time the blood sugar.

That is why, we suggest to increase the dose of insulin (if you are under insulin regime), or to increase the dose of oral antidiabetics, to drink plenty of water and eat fruits and vegetables that contain vitamins and no carbohydrates.

If you have high fever that persists for more than three days, you need to see a physician in person because antibiotics may be needed.

Otherwise you can use tab. Paracetamol 500 mg or Ibuprofen 400 mg every 8th hourly after food for symptomatic relief. They are not contraindicated in type 2 Diabetes, as long as you do not have chronic diabetes complications (such as impaired renal or liver function).

If you have stuffy nose you can use decongestant such Nafasoline spray, not more than three days and try some remedies such as:

-Use a nasal saline spray. It’s salt water, and it will help keep your nasal passages from drying out.

-Try a Neti-pot, nasal irrigator, or bulb syringe. Use distilled, sterile water that’s been boiled to make up the irrigation solution. Rinse the irrigation device after each use and let it air dry.

-Sit a warm, wet towel on your face. It may relieve discomfort and open your nasal passages.

-Prop yourself up. At night, lie on a couple of pillows. Keeping your head elevated may make breathing more comfortable.

Keep monitoring blood sugar, and urine ketones if the glucose level raises over 250 mg/dl.
In these cases you should contact a diabetes educator or your treating physician.

Hope I've been helpful.

Kind regards,
Dr.Mirjeta

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee