Suggest treatment for severe back pain while on Tylenol and Vicodin

Dr. Aashish Raghu

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 28 Mar 2017 in Back Pain
Question: Experiencing sever back pain radiating down into right leg I believe from herniated disk at l4 or l5 what is the best medication to relieve this until I can get in for a steroid injection? Can oral steroids help? Currently using Vicodin and Tylenol. Advil is out because of bleeding concern when I have the injection. 55 yrs old other wise good health

Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Thicolchicoside

Detailed Answer:
Hi there

Thanks for the query

You can take Tablet Paracetamol/Acetaminophen 509mg thrice a day with Tablet Thicolchicoside 8mg once a day. Thicolchicoside is prescription drug.

Perform back extension exercises. Avoid bending forwards or lifting weights. Apply hot packs to the affected region.

Oral steroid in the form of Tablet Deflazacort 6mg once a day is good but needs to be tapered slowly while discontinuing. It has least systemic side effects.

I hope I have answered your query.

I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Dr. Aashish Raghu

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Aashish Raghu 2 hours later
If I started the oral steroids immediately would that interfere with having a the epidural injection of steroids in my lumbar region for the herniated disk in 3 or 4 days? The office cannot get me in until then.:(
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 23 hours later
Brief Answer:
Which steroid?

Detailed Answer:
The which oral steroid have you started?

Usually it won't affect the function of Epidural steroid but you need to regulate the dose because too much steroid is harmful.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad