Suggest treatment for secondary hemochromatosis

Dr. Shoaib Khan

Posted on Fri, 24 Mar 2017 in Blood Disorders
Question: I have had my 3rd blood test now which shows my iron levels are really high but gp said it it was unlikely to be hemochromatosis I am white irish so I thought this would be common and having same symptoms as MS is there any other conditions cause high iron and would there be any link between high iron and neurological conditions
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Consider secondary hemochromatosis brought on by other conditions

Detailed Answer:
Hello sir and welcome.

Thank you for writing to us.

I have gone through your query with diligence and would like you to know that I am here to help. Well there are different variants of hemochromatosis (hereditary, acquired primary, and especially secondary hemochromatosis in your case which occurs due to other conditions, etc.), I hope your doctor has ruled all these variants out.

In my opinion there can be a few causes for iron overload like repeated blood transfusions, liver diseases, hepatitis, excessive alcohol consumption, anaemia, etc. I thus recommend an elaborate workup to make sure all these causes are looked into, and also that all variants of hemochrombtosis are considered.

There are a few neurological implications of hemochromatosis like headaches, exhaustion, mood swings, impaired memory, etc. But no such neurological conditions that can cause an iron overload in my opinion.

I hope you find my response helpful. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I am always here to help.

Best wishes.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D